Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

200 XJ Doorlocks locking unlocking by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 200 XJ Doorlocks locking unlocking by themselves

My doors will randomly lock and unlock themselves, sometimes sitting in the driveway and sometimes even as your driving down the road. And sometimes they do it for several secs, Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock Bang Bang Bang....

I will start by looking at each door switch, maybe spray the heck out of them with cleaner. See if I can find any damaged wiring / wires etc.
If its not that I'll disconnect the remote receiver and see if that helps ...

Any other ideas, Anyone ever have this happen ....
Old 11-02-2017, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by milmat1
My doors will randomly lock and unlock themselves, sometimes sitting in the driveway and sometimes even as your driving down the road. And sometimes they do it for several secs, Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock Bang Bang Bang....

I will start by looking at each door switch, maybe spray the heck out of them with cleaner. See if I can find any damaged wiring / wires etc.
If its not that I'll disconnect the remote receiver and see if that helps ...

Any other ideas, Anyone ever have this happen ....
I parked a very good running 76 Cadillac Seville because of this... Got tired of it still locking me out even after 4 years of chasing wiring problems. As for these, maybe someone who has had this problem could chime in, because thankfully it hasn't happened to me with my 97 yet.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Bugout4x4 :
That's exactly what keeps happening, turn around and run back inside to grab something, and bang Your locked out ...LOL
Old 11-03-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Straight 6 4.0

When I was redoing my headliner in my 1999 Cherokee, we were plugging in the rear lights above the back seat, and the doors started locking and unlocking. So as we were plugging the computer back in it was shorting out and locking the doors, so you could possibly start there. Just a suggestion
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990

If it has an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry I'd start by unplugging it to see if it's the culprit. Even an old unused alarm can do stuff if it's still plugged in. I have seen them cause a few issues.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Mine was doing that. I was on a trip and was being driven crazy by the constant locking and unlocking, so I pulled over, posted here requesting the location of the fuse and pulled it.

Now I have manual locks.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you have something shorting out somewhere. The issue is what is shorting out and where...could be a few different things.

Look in the door jams and check and make sure you have no wires that are cracked/open that could be shorting together, or shorting to ground.

The master control at your driver door. You should check that too....and probably not a bad idea to re-solder the boards and controls on both front doors.

I think there is a plug under the dash, passenger side, for the locks. If you had done a heater/evaporator core replacement and had it unplugged, maybe it wasn't plugged back in all the way?

also, just curious: does this happen only when the vehicle is on? or does it do it when it is off as well?

Last edited by mikesignal; 11-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by milmat1
Bugout4x4 :
That's exactly what keeps happening, turn around and run back inside to grab something, and bang Your locked out ...LOL
Well it finally happened to my 97. I had a slow roll over the other day and after I got it home I started to check everything and found that as it was rolling over it apparently locked the doors. Not sure this is a good thing...

The final straw with the Caddy was when my wife went into labor with our first child. It was winter so I ran out and started it to warm it up and ran back in to get her and the essentials. We came back out to find it was locked up tighter than a drum. After about 30 minutes I was able to clean the passenger side window and my hands to get enough "sticky" to push the window down just enough to take a limb off a tree and reach across and hit the lock button on the driver's side. That was it... I was done with it and parked it. Then fixed up a 67 Impala to drive with manual everything... lol

Sometimes pure laziness is man's greatest downfall... And automobiles are now proving this, unfortunately it becomes a fad, a trend and then the former manual exercise machines are no longer even available as an option if you wanted it. It's time for a basic "no frills" option for those who are not too lazy to look at their tires, read a map, or turn a window crank. The current crap is a win-win. Satisfy man's laziness... and reduce costs of production. But... What about reliability? Obviously this is no longer a priority for either the manufacturer or the consumer and hasn't been for a long time.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 11-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.