Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 4x4 Auto No Dash, Running, or License Light Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 4x4 Auto No Dash, Running, or License Light Revisited

Ive read 15-18 posts on the no dash, running or license lamps working so here goes my scenario:

2001 4x4 auto 4.0L

No dash, running, or license plate light on in the "normal" 2 positions of the headlight switch.

headlights, brake lights and hazard/turn signals work.

No fuses blown PDC #19, JB #6 & 7, or any in either fuse panel.

Headlight switch plug was melted, so replaced headlight switch connector and headlight switch with no change.

If i pull switch back with light touch, i can get all lights to come on in 2 "abnormal" positions of the headlight switch.

Bought yet another headlight switch and ohm'd out circuit for running/parking lights. No connection between battery + spade connector on switch and parking/running spade connector, except those 2 odd abnormal positions.

there is an aftermarket radio, but not hooked to dimmer.

Bypass switch, and all works well. Its like the switch has detents that are in wrong places. Again, no blown fuses.

thx for all ideas & suggestions!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Wow. When you bypass the switch, you are jumping 12v to the wires for, say the running lights, they work correctly? And the other circuits behave normally?

If that's the case, all I can suggest is lousy aftermarket switches that are defective out of the box.

It would be nice if you could find a known good switch to borrow for test purposes.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 PM

You're right. As far fetched as it seems, I've got to eliminate even the most absurd scenarios. I'll start by tracking down a known good switch. Thx
Old 10-08-2017, 10:03 AM

Installed known good headlight switch, and nothing.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram and connection diagram for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee headlight switch? Everyone I've seen on Google is from an older Cherokee or a Bronco, etc.

My OEM headlight switch has 9 terminals labelled U, B1, B2, B3, P, H, D, I, and possibly a 5.

Last edited by swedepowr1; 10-08-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance the problem is in the wiring harness connector that plugs into tbe switch? Im no jeep expert, but i think back to my old f150 and remember they had some funky problems like that, everyone thought was switch, until they pulled and found the connector burnt or melted. Wondering if there's something similar here, possible bad connector.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 PM

"Headlight switch plug was melted, so replaced headlight switch connector and headlight switch with no change."

Its just weird that if you just slightly move switch pull past detent, everything works just fine.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Bump for an update

I have been having this issue for a while now where the running light will work between the detents. Have you come up with a solution for you problem?