Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2.5l head questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default 2.5l head questions

98 xj, 2.5l, 2wd. The most anti-jeep of all jeeps. Also has 2 doors and an ax5 transmission. Never seen another one like it before. Anyways....

Recently got a huge crack in the head. the valve came unseated, and damaged the piston a bit. I'm looking into different remanufactured heads that are available online. As I look at the different options, they all ask whether or not I have a temp sensor. I have a temp sensor at the thermostat, but not the hole in the back that some threads have mentioned, like https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/coo...-sensor-10251/ that one. Also, I don't even have a gauge for temp in my dash, just a light.

Autozone told me I need the head that says "with temp sensor hole", part # CHR1507, not CHR1509.

Questions-

-Which head do I need? (if anyone has better suggestions of heads to get, I'd be interested to hear)
-If I must get the head with the hole, even though I don't have one, can't I just plug it anyways?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, you need another hole in your head. :P

From 86 up every head is exactly the same.

Yes, get one with the temp sensor hole, plug it if you don't need it.

You will always have the option of an aftermarket temp gauge.

And no, not at all an anti-jeep, you have an SE that is very desirable to some people, like myself.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the quick response, and info. If all the heads are the same, then i suppose I'll be picking one up at autozone soon, since I have a bunch of points to cash in. It sounds like the best idea to get the one thats equipped for a temp gauge as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:57 AM

Re-upping this thread for future references on the xjers with the 2.5l.

Installed the head a few days ago, everythings been working great. a few things to note-

Bought a re-manufactured head from autozone. My original did not have the temp sensor hole, and the re-manned head did. It came with a plug and I have not even touched it. No leaks at all. Save yourself the money and just pick that one up.

If you're using a Hayne's manual, be careful. The manual lies on one distinctive part- In the tightening sequence, bolt #7 (the one on the exhaust side closest to the thermostat housing) is the one that needs rtv, and is only torqued to 100 foot pounds, not #8. I had to do this job twice and buy a second head gasket because I had a leak 10 mins after it started back up. This head bolt is in the same location on the 4.0 engines, but the haynes manual said it was a different one. Awesome job, Haynes.