Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport CPS troubleshooting question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport CPS troubleshooting question

Hello, i have a 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Automatic with 125K, its been a great jeep but i just got a error code on my mileage display. This happen when i first bought the jeep over a year ago but went away instantly so i thought nothing of it. None of my gauges work at all but the car starts and runs fine and all other electrical components work. Ive done some research and see it might be the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) but i wanted to know what you guys think first? Here was my plan

First im going to clean off the terminals to make sure its not a battery issue (the battery is less than 6 months old but one of the terminals is dirty)

I was then going to located and check that the CPS is not burned and is connected properly

If that doesnt work i was then going to remove the cluster and clean and check all connects, after that i was going to order and replace the CPS.

Anyone have any other suggestions i should try before i start repairs im all ears, i was also looking for a guide on how to replace my CPS in a 1999 cherokee and how to remove the gauge cluster also, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to remove the cps then replace it cuz it's a pita to get to.You'r not gonna want to take it out and put it back in just to take it out again.Its on the back of the tranny on the top ds between the firewall and motor.You'll need about 20 feet on extentions ,universal and a wobble or 2.The guages are easy,just remove every screw you can find on the trim and pull off the trim.There are 4 screws that hold the cluster in,remove those and it pulls right out.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I didnt know the CPS was that difficult to remove, well i guess i'll give the gauge cluster a shot first then just replace the CPS if that fails, any other suggestions anyone?