Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Grand Cherokee front end noise

Old 08-06-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7
Default 1999 Grand Cherokee front end noise

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee limited with the 4.7l and there is a loud noise and vibration coming from what seems to be the front end. The sound only happens when I am giving the engine gas. The hubs seem tight and the noise is not there while making turns, unless I am accelerating. I have noticed a clunking noise at times when I am backing up and making a turn at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas of the issue? I would hate to just throw parts at it until I find out what the cause was.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Michael Carone
I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee limited with the 4.7l and there is a loud noise and vibration coming from what seems to be the front end. The sound only happens when I am giving the engine gas. The hubs seem tight and the noise is not there while making turns, unless I am accelerating. I have noticed a clunking noise at times when I am backing up and making a turn at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas of the issue? I would hate to just throw parts at it until I find out what the cause was.
You might have more luck in the Grand Cherokee forum (this is the original style regular Cherokee forum) - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/

As far as your issue - does the sound and vibration occur when the vehicle is stopped or moving? If you give it gas in neutral, does it happen?

Clunking is common for a variety of parts failures. I would check your driveshaft u-joints - grab each side and try to twist by hand, there should be zero play, if there is play or it's obvious that the seals have failed, the u-joint needs replacing. Also check that the shocks are tight and that the sway bar link bushings are tight (front and rear).
A guy I know who loves his old GC's had the rear sway-bar snap and it destroyed both his rear tires.
You should also check the rear spring system (our XJ's have leaf springs in the rear, but the GC's may be quadra-coil like the 97+ TJ's), look for any worn out bushings that may be causing things to move too much.

Other than that, the best thing to do is lift the wheels off the ground in the front and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you're tugging on various components to see if there is slop.

As we say around here - noggin pokin' time.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7

Thanks for the input, I will check it out.