Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cruise Control Install - Harness too short?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Question 1999 Cruise Control Install - Harness too short?

New member here hoping to find an answer that I've not been able to find anywhere else. I'm installing factory cruise components into a 99 XJ that did not have cruise from the factory. All the interior switches and installation went perfect, had the right switches, no issues there. However, I've got the bracket mounted under the hood and the factory connector is way too short to reach the servo. It is almost like it was a factory defect or I need some kind of jumper.

I had the loom undone and the wires go in two different directions at the "T" so I can't undo anything to bring it down the harness closer to the servo.My next step is to hack the end off one one in a junkyard long enough so I can solder the harness on with only one connection per wire. Any ideas?

**On a side note, the cable I had was broken so that is why it isn't installed yet. The lights on the dash do turn on and off indicating the cruise is working electrical wise.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Cruise Control Install - Harness too short?-20180317_235750870_ios.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 03:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

First thing. Where on earth did you find a cruise control unit that is so shiny? So jealous. LOL. I would have to go look to be sure, it is still dark out, but could sworn that my connector was more under the battery when I installed cruise in my '00 that did not come with it. Could that be the daylight running connector that I have read that some Jeeps have?
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Ralph77
First thing. Where on earth did you find a cruise control unit that is so shiny? So jealous. LOL. I would have to go look to be sure, it is still dark out, but could sworn that my connector was more under the battery when I installed cruise in my '00 that did not come with it. Could that be the daylight running connector that I have read that some Jeeps have?
This is actually my buddy's XJ and he got a little carried away on Rock Auto so he got a used one and then also bought a brand new module and bracket haha. As for the harness I think you have the answer. Oddly enough, if you remove that plug for the DRL connector it plugs right into the cruise control module. I guess Jeep was standardizing their connectors haha

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by IowaXJOverland
This is actually my buddy's XJ and he got a little carried away on Rock Auto so he got a used one and then also bought a brand new module and bracket haha. As for the harness I think you have the answer. Oddly enough, if you remove that plug for the DRL connector it plugs right into the cruise control module. I guess Jeep was standardizing their connectors haha

Thanks for the help!
Never even occurred to me that you could find one new. I was able to but not on rockauto. $85 without the bracket on a Mopar online site. Who knew?