Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 XJ won't start, possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 XJ won't start, possible causes?

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a few months as my Jeep Cherokee 4.0L has been bulletproof so far but now I come to you guys for help. I drive a 1998 XJ automatic, just had a full tune up done in December 2010 (spark plugs/wires/distributor cap/air filter).

Today I got caught in rush hour traffic like always (was sitting bumper to bumper for about an hour) and when I finally got into a freeway, as soon as I got up to around 60 MPH, the XJ kind of shook, and next thing I know, my speed is slowly falling, and I could no longer accelerate (gas pedal pushed down - RPMs still falling). Also, at this point I could hear a sort of "popping" or snapping sort of noise coming from the rear of the vehicle (transfer case?)

I quickly moved over to the shoulder and when I came to a stop, the XJ stalled. I tried to start it again - it will keep cranking but won't turn over. I also now have a CEL as well as the "CHECK GAUGES" light as well. I had a friend pick me up and called a tow truck to get it to my mechanic where the vehicle now sits.

He'll read the CEL code for me first thing in the morning tomorrow but I was hoping to get some opinions on what the issue could be. Is my transmission most likely toast? I tried a search but must not have been using the proper terms as it seems like there's tons of reasons for no-start issues.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Guessing is pretty much useless.

The good thing here is that you HAVE a code to help guide you to the root cause.

Post the "exact" code or codes here for comment once you have them.

Usually though, a transmission or t-case issue won't be involved with a no-start condition.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

If it completly died there are a few things that could cause it like the CPS or the fuel pump. Just a guess though, at least you have a code to go by.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM

I'll be calling my mechanic in an hour or so when he opens and see what he says about the code, I kind of figured it would be hard to diagnose this issue over the internet but I was just hoping for ideas.

Thanks for your help so far guys! I'll keep you updated.