Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L having engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L having engine issues

EDIT: Had enough time today to finally put the new Crankshaft Positioning Sensor in. Took about an hour but it was worth it. It’s up and running better than when I bought it. Thanks for all the help, I’ll update if it stalls again.

I recently purchased a used XJ for myself, the previous owner said it had a few problems but other than that it was ok. When I bought it the only issues were the rear drive shaft (the U-Joints had blown) and it needed a new O2 sensor. After I fixed those it was running pretty well, but about a week ago I was driving home in the snow and it flat out died on me. It had done this once before but that was because the battery leads weren't cinched down very tight on the battery. This time was different. It died, I got it started back up and kept going just trying to get it back home. It died about 4 more times on the way back. I eventually had to leave it on the side of the road and get a ride home. When I went back to it later that day, it started up just fine and made it home. When I got it home I checked a few things. The check engine light had come on. I found a blown 15 amp fuse for the O2 sensor heaters. I replaced it and that got rid of the check engine light. I figured I'd just keep driving it to see what it would do. It kept dying on me while driving. A few days ago I noticed that the fuel pump was whining. I was pretty sure that it would be what was causing the stalling problem. I spent a good while replacing that. Once I got the fuel pump out of the tank I was pretty sure that it was the reason for the stalls. It was disgusting, and the filter was about to fall off. I put the new one in and put it all back together and started it. It was definitely running stronger. Today I drove it again, and it died while driving again. I knew the battery was trash, got a new one and now it starts better than it did. I also know the starter motor is having problems and I'm going to replace that soon, but I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't cause it to stall while I'm driving. A while ago I started it up and started a timer to see how long it would idle for. It ran for an outstanding 2 minutes. The check engine light also came back on. At this point I am completely clueless as to what it could be. I have bought a new Crankshaft Positioning Sensor but I haven't put it in yet. I pulled out the Idle Air Control and cleaned it out. I looked in the Throttle Positioning sensor to see if it was dirty or anything and it wasn't. I have no idea what to do. Any help is appreciated.

TL;DR :

Jeep is starting, idling somewhat ok or rough and then it dies.

I've replaced the Fuel pump, Battery, O2 sensors.

Last edited by Newty; 02-26-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: FIXED (I THINK)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Inspect the wiring harness pointed out in the following video at the 7:50 mark.

The symptoms you have noted are similar to those that would be expected if that harness is damaged/melted. Check for any rubbing, cuts, or melting.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Inspect the wiring harness pointed out in the following video at the 7:50 mark.

The symptoms you have noted are similar to those that would be expected if that harness is damaged/melted. Check for any rubbing, cuts, or melting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCZdv-FYwxw
Thank you! I will have a look at that tomorrow and leave an update.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Ok, I looked at the wire in the video and it is the opposite of failing. It was completely wrapped up in electrical tape and moved out of the way from the exhaust manifold. I'm pretty sure when I was having O2 Sensor issues the shop that I had it at did this to prevent this issue. Any other ideas?
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Newty
The check engine light also came back on. At this point I am completely clueless as to what it could be.
Pull codes. The strategy for a check engine light is always the same, pull the current codes and use a testing based strategy to get to root cause.

Post the EXACT code(s) here for comment, not just a code description. With codes, the devil is always in the details!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Crud in fuel tank.
It settles to the bottom when the vehicle isn't running so it starts fine.
When moving it plugs the inlet screen.