Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 XJ Country hose help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 XJ Country hose help

Hey guys--I just got a 1995 XJ Country for super cheap as a project vehicle and need a bit of direction as I am admittedly less than mechanically inclined. I see two separate hoses that are attached to nothing, and I am wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction for a fix. Here is a look under the hood:

I believe the ??CCV valve?? at the top is supposed to go somewhere into the intake manifold, but not sure where. Here is a shot of the intake manifold:

Here you can see where a hose was previously attached but is now broken off. I am not sure if the hose on the left (which looks like it is the right length and the right match for the broken hose) goes here or if the missing hose from the CCV valve is supposed to go here. Here is another picture of the mystery hose:

It is identifiable on the left by the duct tape on it. I'm not yet sure where it starts, but it looks like it could attach to the intake manifold:

So which one attaches to that site on the intake manifold? And where does the other one go? If any of you guys could help me figure out which hose goes where and what the name of the replacement hose I need is called, that would be hugely appreciated. I'm kind of new to all of this but hoping to learn. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

The plastic piece you are holding in the last picture goes between the elbow on the valve cover and the opening on the intake. I don't know what hose it is taped to now.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Thanks, toasterknight

Originally Posted by toasterknight
The plastic piece you are holding in the last picture goes between the elbow on the valve cover and the opening on the intake. I don't know what hose it is taped to now.
That makes sense. The guy I got this Jeep from was an idiot. I didn't mention that I had to cut away a knotted rag in order to get to the duct taped hose! Now to figure out the other hose...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

I have a feeling the duct taped hose may be the breather for the trans or transfer case. Follow it to the end and if it is you can just trim it shorter and add a filter.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 PM

I have a feeling the duct taped hose may be the breather for the trans or transfer case. Follow it to the end and if it is you can just trim it shorter and add a filter.
Just followed it and it ends up here:

I am laying in the middle of the vehicle, looking to the rear. The hose in question is the lighter colored one below the fuel filter. So I just need to add a filter to the dead end of the hose? Is that right?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Are you sure it's the light hose going into the front of the block on the axle? That should be a brake line.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:11 AM

Are you sure it's the light hose going into the front of the block on the axle? That should be a brake line.
It's not the light hose after all. I got some lines crossed. Looking again, it appears to split just in front of the fuel tank, and the lines disappear somewhere above the fuel tank:

Top left of the fuel tank

Top right of the fuel tank

Does that make better sense?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by adrian.church
It's not the light hose after all. I got some lines crossed. Looking again, it appears to split just in front of the fuel tank, and the lines disappear somewhere above the fuel tank:

Top left of the fuel tank

Top right of the fuel tank

Does that make better sense?
Think I figured it out. Looks like those hoses connect to the fuel tank rollover check valves, and the other end of the hose is supposed to connect to the charcoal canister. I actually found a spot on the canister where it appears the hose came off. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Your welcome. The PO was an absolute moron.