Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 noise

I bought my cherokee a little while ago for 400 dollars, it has 351km on it and the previous owner said it sat for 2 year then he swapped in a motor with 240k and the transmission seal was leaking onto the exhaust.

I took the transmission out to find that the rear main seal was leaking to so I replaced the rear main and the transmission input shaft seal, put it all back together almost but when I was tightening the top bell housing bolts I dropped one into the bell housing through the crank sensor hole I thought so I took the transmission down again and found the bolt on top of the transmission and spun the torque converter all seemed in order.

once it was all back together I drove it fine for about 5 days until one day I put it in 4lo and back into 2wd but the front end was rougher then usual so after about 5km I pulled over and and called to have a socket set brought to me to adjust the 4x4 linkage which i eventually got back into 2wd but the front end was still a little rough.

When I got it home I put it up on jack stands front and back and verified it was in 2wd plus looked at all the u-joints which seemed to be good and the ball joints which seemed to be tight, however when I started it up it was making a god awful ticking noise is the best I could explain it.

When i finished putting the transmission back in i was missing a 9/16 socket which was what I used to tighten the top bell housing bolts and no other tools missing, I've had someone turn the crank pulley while I look in and listen through the inspection hole in the bell housing and it doesn't seem like the socket is in the bell housing. However thats one of the things this noise could be and I wanted some second opinions before I go and take the transmission out again.

So far for trouble shooting I have removed the serpentine belt (the video is taped with it off) and i have retorqued the flywheel to torque converter bolts which were all up to torque.

Thanks for reading this long write up

Last edited by Wesley David Campbell; 08-16-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Flex Plate?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Ya I'm thinking it could be the flex plate, when I had it out to do the rear main seal it gave it a glance over and nothing seemed to stand out, it is possible that a a small crack enlarged though and led to this.