Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'01 XJ Coolant Temps

Old 06-10-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default '01 XJ Coolant Temps

Hey guys. I'm hoping y'all can chime in with some advice here, because I'm kinda lost at this point.

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 4x4, AW4 auto trans.
Within the last 1,000 miles I have replaced my radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and threw new 50/50 coolant in my rad. I did not flush my system, the coolant I removed looked really clean still.

This week I moved from California to Arizona, and I have noticed a noticeable increase in coolant temps. Enough to where I am becoming concerned. I ran at 210* consistently before moving.

I am now seeing temps closer to 225, give or take, depending on highway speeds, A/C use and hill climbs.

It cools off once I kill the A/C and get to lower speeds, but it's really bothering me. I have fresh fluid, all new cooling system components and I am positive there isn't air in my system.

Should I be concerned with the temperatures I am now seeing?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

How old is the fan clutch? Is the fan shroud in place and all there?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Fan clutch was also just replaced. Fan shroud is installed and in one piece.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

That's good. Have you ever verified temps with an infrared temp gun?

Also are you running large diameter tires with stock gearing?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:01 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RoadLessTravelled
Hey guys. I'm hoping y'all can chime in with some advice here, because I'm kinda lost at this point.

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 4x4, AW4 auto trans.
Within the last 1,000 miles I have replaced my radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and threw new 50/50 coolant in my rad. I did not flush my system, the coolant I removed looked really clean still.

This week I moved from California to Arizona, and I have noticed a noticeable increase in coolant temps. Enough to where I am becoming concerned. I ran at 210* consistently before moving.

I am now seeing temps closer to 225, give or take, depending on highway speeds, A/C use and hill climbs.

It cools off once I kill the A/C and get to lower speeds, but it's really bothering me. I have fresh fluid, all new cooling system components and I am positive there isn't air in my system.

Should I be concerned with the temperatures I am now seeing?

thanks in advance.
225 is not good, mine hovers around 210 in traffic (90f ambient temps) it's around 220 but my fan clutch is bad, if the fan clutch was working it would be able to hover around 210 constantly. You either have a bad head or maybe a bad water pump since you mentioned in low speeds the temps go down. First things to do is to get a reading off the upper house with an ir gun to verify temps.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
That's good. Have you ever verified temps with an infrared temp gun?

Also are you running large diameter tires with stock gearing?
Haven't verified temps with a heat gun just yet. I replaced the coolant temp sensor yesterday, and the temps are essentially the same as they were before. I will try to get ahold of an IR temp gun soon and take a look at it.

I am running 33" all terrain KO2s, and stock gearing. This hasn't given me any problems with temps prior to my move to Arizona though, even on hill climbs in areas such as Big Bear, California. I will be trying to get my Jeep taken to a shop this week so they can help me diagnose my higher temps.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kbeam418
225 is not good, mine hovers around 210 in traffic (90f ambient temps) it's around 220 but my fan clutch is bad, if the fan clutch was working it would be able to hover around 210 constantly. You either have a bad head or maybe a bad water pump since you mentioned in low speeds the temps go down. First things to do is to get a reading off the upper house with an ir gun to verify temps.
Yep, I will be trying to get a true reading of my temps this week with an IR gun. I feel that the water pump isn't a problem because it is brand new, and my temps were fine a week or two ago in California. But who knows.

Leaning more towards bad head at this point. Maybe best case scenario I just need a system flush but I doubt it.

Really need to get this figured out soon, I am moving in a few weeks to Phoenix to continue my degree at ASU and I don't have time for Jeep hiccups like this.