Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

ZJ and Wj front clip swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9
Default ZJ and Wj front clip swap

ok. got a couple scenarios i need help with if at all possible. Ive got a 98 ZJ Grand Cherokee that hit a tree in the front and i have a 99 WJ Grand Cherokee as a donor vehicle. Im trying to find out if i can swap the front clip from the 99 WJ to a 98 ZJ. Or would it be simpler to swap the 5.9l and transmission out of the 98 into the 99 which has a 4.7l with no compression. Id perfer to swap clips if possible i like the ZJ limited over the WJ Laredo. Id appreciate any info anyone could provide. Thank You
Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The WJ is wider that the ZJ so that's a problem, and the 5.9 will fit in the WJ with aftermarket mounts, but the electronics will be a nightmare. If you're dead set on doing this, you're better off cramming the 5.9 into the WJ.

The major problem with the electronics is the 99 uses a integrated data bus for all the modules to communicate with each other. You could use the PCM, TCM and BCM from the 97, but you'd have to just about rewire the whole vehicle. Good luck with that!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Pretty much both ways will not work unless you got months of time a lot of tools and skills.Finding a whole front end from a zj should be easy try your local junkyards or catch one on craigslist cheap that don't run and use the parts you need and scrap the rest.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

ok. That was kind of what i was affraid of lol. Some of my buddies went out and straightened out the front of my 98 while i was out of town. Looks like the frame is tweaked a little bit but salvagable. Just some fab work and maybe i can just get it trail ready. I do appreciate the info though