Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

94 4.0 ZJ - should I lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 4.0 ZJ - should I lift?

This is my first venture into off-road adventure. I'm really interested in being able to handle most of the roads in Death Valley or forest service roads in North Calif.

My '94 4.0 has about 220,000 miles. I got it with about 170,000 and had to rebuild the trans. It is stock DD, I'm, thinking of doing a lift, larger tires so its is more off-road ready.

The engine is using some oil. Not sure exactly how much and what time, sorry.

looking for advice as to what I need to do vs. what would be nice to do. I realize it is a very open ended question.
thanks for you input.
GaryJ
Old 03-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

My late brother took an old pickup into death valley during the summer years ago and had a serious breakdown. He nearly died of heat exhaustion and thirst before someone finally ran across him and rescued him. If it was me I would rebuild or replace the engine, put in a new radiator and hoses with a new water pump. spare drive belt,, lots of water, tools,duct tape and a couple of spare tires. A spare ecm would also be on the list. The difference between what you should do and what you think you can afford to do may well cost lives in death valley
Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

never go alone is the best approach.

there are several trails in Death Valley some are easy some are difficult. it just depends on how difficult a trail you want to tackle and what your budget is.