Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Rear end swap and or motor swap

Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Rear end swap and or motor swap

Have my first jeep 1996 grand Cherokee limited 5.2L. And come to find out engine was locked up so I just happened to see a 1995 grand Cherokee 5.2L with bad rear end today so I bought it. What rear axle are common on 95 and 96 interchangble or no? I know I probably should have done more research before buying but will just swap motor if rearends can't be.

Last edited by Chrysler318; 03-09-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Wasnt finished
Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As long as they are both the same model axle (D35 or D44a), they should be a bolt-in, as long as the ratio matches your FRONT axle. If not, you can swap the front axle as well.

I'm not sure which axle the early ZJ's had with the V8. Some had D35 and some had D44a. Either way, you can put a 44 in place of a 35 as long as you take the driveshaft too and visa-versa. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is both axles MUST be the same ratio. The D44a has an aluminum carrier case and is beefier than the D35.

As far as the engine is concerned, I think they are both the same except for possibly accessories. There were a lot of changes made around that time, but I'm not sure what was changed, if anything.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-09-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
As long as they are both the same model axle (D35 or D44a), they should be a bolt-in, as long as the ratio matches your FRONT axle. If not, you can swap the front axle as well.

I'm not sure which axle the early ZJ's had with the V8. Some had D35 and some had D44a. Either way, you can put a 44 in place of a 35 as long as you take the driveshaft too and visa-versa. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is both axles MUST be the same ratio. The D44a has an aluminum carrier case and is beefier than the D35.

As far as the engine is concerned, I think they are both the same except for possibly accessories. There were a lot of changes made around that time, but I'm not sure what was changed, if anything.
so essentially the motor swap should be just a bolt in and then itís all about changing the front and rear axle to the 44s to make it work? Iím sorry didnít really understand maybe I just confused myself

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: