Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

3 inch bastard lift wj

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 3 inch bastard lift wj

so im basically finding jack crap about a junkyard wj lift 3+ inches i stopped at an offroad shop by me today and found that 92 f150 springs have a 4 inch diameter and are 15.49 inches long (should fit with the dog ears cut off ) the wj is 4.04 diameter with 16.5 inches long i would assume i would get 0-1 inch lift with these since they are shorter but are much stiffer but i dont think the front coils will fit the rear im at a loss here dont want to spend 500$ or more right now for a 3-3.5 inch lift until summer when money is more available any ideas?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I don't think you will like those F150 coils. Much to stiff. You should be able to find some poly spacers for a budget lift that will work much better
Old 02-09-2018, 11:31 PM

i get they are stiff but its also getting a 1/8 in thick steel bumper and a winch so theres an extra 300lbs on the front i just am not sure the gain in a wj i know an xj and zj is 3-5 depending on the motor and model of the f150 i was considering bronco 2 springs in the front i just dont want a drag car look until i get polys i also am unsure that the f-r swap will work with a wj
Old 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I don't know either, never done that swap.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by riskywhiskey
i get they are stiff but its also getting a 1/8 in thick steel bumper and a winch so theres an extra 300lbs on the front i just am not sure the gain in a wj i know an xj and zj is 3-5 depending on the motor and model of the f150 i was considering bronco 2 springs in the front i just dont want a drag car look until i get polys i also am unsure that the f-r swap will work with a wj
I don't know where you're getting the 300 lb number, but I have 3/16 plate bumpers front and rear and they're like 50lbs each. And a winch is like 100ish. Also, to find out of the springs will swap front to rear go look at them and see if it will work. I don't think they're similar, but it's been a while since I've looked under a wj. If you're looking for cheap just do a spacer lift and Call it good till you have money for better. Doesn't seem there are many options for wjs junkyard parts wise
Old 02-11-2018, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I don't know where you're getting the 300 lb number, but I have 3/16 plate bumpers front and rear and they're like 50lbs each. And a winch is like 100ish. Also, to find out of the springs will swap front to rear go look at them and see if it will work. I don't think they're similar, but it's been a while since I've looked under a wj. If you're looking for cheap just do a spacer lift and Call it good till you have money for better. Doesn't seem there are many options for wjs junkyard parts wise
the f150 springs from a 92-95 are 2/5s of an inch smaller in diameter thats about the only option but the f-r swap is kinda iffy ive heard people do it and ive heard people say you cant do it so its hard to weed the bs from the facts and as far as the bumper if you look at my pics the orange jeep has a 1/8 inch square tube bumper with 3/16 steel pipe guard its rolled in at 79 lbs since this one will be double backed square tube with u channel to attach it to the unibody and a full stinger with light guard and skid plate as well as will wrap to the sides im probably looking at 170-180 plus the 90-100lb winch , i make **** that will **** up someones day before it will put a scratch on my vehicle ( i nailed a large buck at 60 mph and all i did was crack a corner lens) unintentionally
Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 AM

factory front wj
Uncompressed length - 15"
Outside diameter - 4 7/8"
Inside diameter - 3 3/4"
Coil Coil
wrap thickness - 1/2"
# of wraps - 10

rear factory wj
Uncompressed length - 12 7/8"
Outside diameter at top and bottom of
coil coil
- 4"
Inside diameter at top and bottom of coil - 2 7/8"
Outside diameter at middle of coil - 5 7/8"
Inside diameter at middle of coil - 4 3/4"
Coil Coil
wrap thickness - 9/16"
# of wraps - 7

F150 installed/ load /rate/ free length
# CC824 13.00", 1442, 366, 16.94" inner id 4 2/5
Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 AM

factory front wj
Uncompressed length - 15"
Outside diameter - 4 7/8"
Inside diameter - 3 3/4"
Coil Coil
wrap thickness - 1/2"
# of wraps - 10

rear factory wj
Uncompressed length - 12 7/8"
Outside diameter at top and bottom of
coil coil
- 4"
Inside diameter at top and bottom of coil - 2 7/8"
Outside diameter at middle of coil - 5 7/8"
Inside diameter at middle of coil - 4 3/4"
Coil Coil
wrap thickness - 9/16"
# of wraps - 7

F150 installed/ load /rate/ free length
# CC824 13.00", 1442, 366, 16.94"inner id 4 2/5
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

New lift springs for the WJ are $100 -$160 per pair and will outperform any worn JY springs. Three inch lift starts causing issues that will need to be addressed.
Will need longer shocks, also adjustable lower control arms because the WJ has no caster adjustment.
Will also need the ball-joint spacer for rear upper control arm.
If the front drive shaft is not already a double cardon than you will need to replace it with one. Also plan on replacing all joints in the driveshafts.

I lifted mine just two inches to avoid these issues. But still had to replace driveshaft joints due to new angle. Costs $68 for a set of four spring spacers or $240 for new lift springs front and back.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by riskywhiskey
the f150 springs from a 92-95 are 2/5s of an inch smaller in diameter thats about the only option but the f-r swap is kinda iffy ive heard people do it and ive heard people say you cant do it so its hard to weed the bs from the facts and as far as the bumper if you look at my pics the orange jeep has a 1/8 inch square tube bumper with 3/16 steel pipe guard its rolled in at 79 lbs since this one will be double backed square tube with u channel to attach it to the unibody and a full stinger with light guard and skid plate as well as will wrap to the sides im probably looking at 170-180 plus the 90-100lb winch , i make **** that will **** up someones day before it will put a scratch on my vehicle ( i nailed a large buck at 60 mph and all i did was crack a corner lens) unintentionally
That is a lot of metal. I've never hit a car or deer with my Cherokee, but I was coming down a trail and cane off a ledge and the rear tires came up about 2 feet and then I came down on the rear bumper and it was fine. Made the lights come on inside the jeep but it was fine otherwise.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
That is a lot of metal. I've never hit a car or deer with my Cherokee, but I was coming down a trail and cane off a ledge and the rear tires came up about 2 feet and then I came down on the rear bumper and it was fine. Made the lights come on inside the jeep but it was fine otherwise.

i know its alot of metal but i like building tanks especially when my wife and i have to drive through washington dc to drop my stepson to see his father in north carolina theres alot of people that shouldnt have licenses the bumper on the xj actually saved us a hefty accident issue when i t-boned a guy that decided to run a redlight in virgina i ended up hitting him in the rear quarter rolling up on top of his trunk and back down only problem i had was i needed to change a fenderflare and a u joint because it shattered the cap from the impact
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
New lift springs for the WJ are $100 -$160 per pair and will outperform any worn JY springs. Three inch lift starts causing issues that will need to be addressed.
Will need longer shocks, also adjustable lower control arms because the WJ has no caster adjustment.
Will also need the ball-joint spacer for rear upper control arm.
If the front drive shaft is not already a double cardon than you will need to replace it with one. Also plan on replacing all joints in the driveshafts.

I lifted mine just two inches to avoid these issues. But still had to replace driveshaft joints due to new angle. Costs $68 for a set of four spring spacers or $240 for new lift springs front and back.
its got all new u joints in it and a cardon shaft in the front and from what ive seen the adjustable control arms should only be needed at 4+ inches the jk front control arms are an inch longer and about 150$ cheaper then adjustables and 1 inch should be enough and ive already got 2-4 inch lift shocks for it i want to do 3 because im not fitting 235/85s without a 3 inch lift a 2 inch will only allow for 31s which are actually 30.5 235/85s are 31.65-31.75 inches tall and should fit on stock rims since they are just as narrow as factory and the offset is close to the hub assembly
Old 02-11-2018, 09:24 PM

so I have a 98 cherokee sport and not surprisingly my rear end is sagging, leaf springs look pretty worn. I plan to replace them altogether and throw on rubicon express 2" lift twin tube shock absorbers but I'm worried they wont perform correctly if I don't add a leaf and lift blocks in the front.
any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by davido88
so I have a 98 cherokee sport and not surprisingly my rear end is sagging, leaf springs look pretty worn. I plan to replace them altogether and throw on rubicon express 2" lift twin tube shock absorbers but I'm worried they wont perform correctly if I don't add a leaf and lift blocks in the front.
any thoughts?
Go to a junkyard get a set of s10 leafs use the top one from each set cut off the eyelets drill a hole for the bolt and re pack them add a 1 inch spring drop bracket and you have 2 inches of lift without much ride change use a set of v8 jz springs and isolators in the front there's your 2 inch front lift
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 PM

so i cant find anything at all that will match up without major mods and as far as a 3 inch needing the whole kabang...... you dont need longer lower control arms until 4-4.5 inches of lift it is wise to do so but not necessary for a 3 inch you need springs shocks and the rear upper control arm spacer its 40$ you possibly could need lower rear arms because of the 3 point set up the rear swings forward alot more then the front swings back double cardon is a good idea if you dont have one in the front if you dont want to do a transfer case drop and dont have the money for an sye kit idk why no one has thought of this get another cardon for the rear take your outer yoke ends and put them on the cardon you have two points of movement for flex and stretch (i would probably drill a hole and bolt the slip yoke fast however ) its less likely to fall off

for those who say its impossible and 31s barely fit with a 2 inch lift
31/10.5-Diameter inches 30.93
Width inches 10.51
235/85-16 Diameter inches 31.73
Width inches 9.25
DifferenceDiameter inches 0.8

there is your answer to what i want to fit theres 4/5s of an inch difference between max recommended and what im putting under it

i plan on going with the skyjacker 2.5 inch lift with 1/4 inch iso level kit to make it 2 3/4 inch looking at 298$ for the whole kit and can easily fit the 235/85s on factory rims with no rubbing because there is 0 offset from factory

Last edited by riskywhiskey; 02-12-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 3 inch bastard lift wj