Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ZILCH with key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default ZILCH with key in ignition

Ok so I'm at a loss at this point and could really use some help. Few months back I went trailing and punctured my tans coolant line (88 cherokee, i6 4.0L, 4x4, AT trans). I replaced those and the fuel filter that I had been meaning to do for a long time. Took it out for a test drive, started up just fine drove about a mile and just shut off. Would not start back up tried to but wouldn't. Jump didn't get it to kick over either so towed back home. Fast forward to now and I'm getting no crank and after some other maint. same issue then next morning i got absolutely NOTHING when key was in ignition. No power, no buzzer, radio, lights or anything. I turn the key and absolutely NOTHING happens.
Here is what I've done since then:
-New battery (old tested bad)
-Starter test (volt meter and hot connection, tries to crank but still have issue with fuel pressure to figure out)
-Fuse check (all fuses are good to go, have a few relays to test but just cleaned them a few days ago before this issue started)
-Electrical connection cleaning ( connector spray and toothbrush, straightened pins, adjusted flat connections for more pressure, etc.)
-elect. plug checks under hood and dash (everything is plugged in)

Research I've done seems to point to ignition switch but almost all threads i've seen for that say they still have lights and power. Battery still has power, grounds are clean, and wires all look good, Many were replaced since I got the vehicle at most 3 years ago. No rust and have never seen any major corrosion and always clean it off ASAP if I have found any.

Anyone have any ideas of where I can start looking?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

With key in run position confirm power at all fuses in box.