Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Shuts off while Driving

Old 12-17-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Shuts off while Driving

Shuts off while driving. Right before engine cuts out the RPM gauge jumps up and down wildly. Usually it will restart in 5 minutes sometimes takes several hours. It's fairly cold here and engine temp is normal, no overheating. No OBD codes are ever generated. Sometimes the vehicle will work perfectly for 3 or 4 days and sometimes when started up it will die immediately.

To date I have replaced the following: computer (because no OBD codes I thought this might be issue), CPS, TPS, MAP, Coolant Temp Sensor, Idle Air Sensor, Coil, Distributor, Plugs, Plug Wires, Battery, Battery Cables, Serpentine Belt. I had fuel pressure and pump checked by a garage and they were normal. Also Cleaned Throttle Body and checked for vacuum leaks. Tested alternator and it is OK. Most of these parts were original equipment so I don't mind replacing them and engine has 200k miles.

Also, I just found out today that I have a power drain on the circuit that controls dome light and gauges that I can not figure out, even when car off and doors closed this circuit is pulling power. Could an issue with this circuit effect the ignition system?

Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance to all who respond.