Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Took a chance on some LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Default Took a chance on some LED headlights

These just came out recently from a Cincinatti company called 4Mudders.

$100 shipped to my door for the pair.

I've been looking into headlight upgrades for a few months bouncing back and forth between Trucklights and the harness/housing/bulb combos. I saw these pop up for essentially the same price and decided to take a gamble on a cheap plug and play.

Took 20 minutes to install. I'll post some night shots later tonight.

http://www.4mudders.com/product_info.php?products_id=19781

Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Too bad they are not street legal, DOT approved. And appear to not have cut-off, which prevents blinding oncoming drivers.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Let's see some night shots
Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
Let's see some night shots

So these things are bright. I'm not the kind of guy to be blinding people all night so we'll see if I get flashed. I'll probably have my wife drive it up the street so I can actually see what they look like coming head on.

Maybe they truly are "4 mudders" not daily driving rigs. But none the less, this definitely puts in perspective how much my old lamps suck.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:20 PM

Also, my horn quit working on my keyless entry after I hooked these up... Related?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

I wonder if these actually prevent light from going too high. I see them a lot but can never tell who has them when I'm driving.

I was thinking about trying something like this but ended up getting some projectors from choo_31 on cf
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Wow, those are bright.
Very interested if they disturb other motorist.
Is there a low and high beam?
You could adjust your head light to point them downward.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 AM

Yeah there is high and low beam. Both are very bright. I'm gonna do some tests tonight to figure out how much they could bother other drivers. That's the last thing I want. Need to find a wall to get them aimed proper as well. I'm considering going to E codes and some nice bulbs but that's only if I can get a return on these guys. If my truck was a trail only vehicle I would definitely rock these but I do a lot of street driving
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
Also, my horn quit working on my keyless entry after I hooked these up... Related?
That is odd, I cannot think of a direct connection, but you have a 2001 and I am not as familiar with those electronics and wire routing.
Did not intend to criticize in my previous post, I was just being 'matter of fact'.

The other issue besides cut-off, is the light seems to spread to the peripheral just as bright as forward. This could also cause issues with oncoming traffic. Having the wife drive it so you can observe is a good idea.
DOT approved headlights have three ***** on glass that an aiming machine attaches to.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Beach Bum

Considering that the reflector of main lamp is circular and even, they may have to aimed excessively downward to get proper cut-off. But this would severely limit the amount of light further down the road where needed.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Are you using the stock wiring harness and connectors with those? Also what else was required in the line for hookup that could have had any connection with the horn??
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Are you using the stock wiring harness and connectors with those? Also what else was required in the line for hookup that could have had any connection with the horn??

Using stock wiring. The lights had a standard 3 prong plug and an extra little female space connection that I'm guessing is for the "halo" things on the side. I just wrapped those in electrical tape. Not intending to run them.

Ok so I noticed something else funky. Here's sequence On the stock setup: jeep running, lights on, key to off, lights stay in for 30 seconds. If you turn the lights off before keying off, lights stay off. With these if you turn them off before shutting the jeep down, they will turn on as soon as the truck turns off. I have to key acc on then back off to turn them off. Sort of annoying. I'm getting closer to at least attempting to send these back.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

That all has to do with your auto timed shut off in the lights, your stock lights should have done that as well.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
That all has to do with your auto timed shut off in the lights, your stock lights should have done that as well.
Mine stock lights did that if you waited to turn them off after ignition off. But these turn on after after ignition off even if they weren't on. Kind of strange.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

You may have a crossed wire in the harness. you might have to try swaping inputs. Just because they have the same connector, does not mean they are in the same places on the pins, sometimes you have to swap a pair.

Just a general thought.

Quick Reply: Took a chance on some LED headlights