Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Not sure where to begin.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 and 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Not sure where to begin.

This is my first post so I'll do my best to be as detailed as possible and will be adding pictures as soon as I have a chance. I bought a 92 XJ with a 6.5" short arm garbage lift and 96 driveline swap with just under 80k miles on motor, AW4 and NP231 with a Dana 44 rear re-geared to 4.56 sitting on 35's. Suspension and steering are already covered (BDS kit ordered to replace the crap and some Currie steering goodies). My problem lies in the electrical components. He said it had a "stand alone PCM" I can't identify the manufacturer by looking at the unit and there are only 3 wires running to it. The wiring is butchered and I don't even know where to start. The stock PCM is still there and plugged in as well. I have an issue where I have to cycle the key on and off to get the pcm to tell the fuel pump to turn on. Not to mention, the only gauge that works is my tach although my fuel light comes on as well as the check engine light. Like I said, I'll post pics as soon as I can. I bought it because I got it for a decent deal. The body is decent and the interior is clean. The motor runs great and I've pretty much replaced all pumps/pulleys and injectors/ignition components. I feel like this whole electrical issue is going to be a real headache. Any input is appreciated. I'm not new to the Jeep scene, I'm just stumped.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

What I know about PCMs.

Without seeing it and I would not give you advice as to what to do, but as for what it is...

Most likely an aftermarket reprogram. in before OBDII and the fun of modern car computers (aka, PCM) you would have to reprogram them. Usually this took knowing a guy and having beer or cash in hand. You can now buy reprogrammed units.

This is likely a module that is over riding some aspects of the PCM. It could be for fuel economy or it could be for your lift set up. Thats the problem, it could be useless or vital, and without properly assessing that first, I cannot in good faith recommend removal.

If that helps your search, you are welcome. My kids are watching PBS and I am on my tablet, so no time out of my morning...
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum!

It seems you have somewhat of a nightmare on your hands as far as electrical goes and I hope you have a long arm kit ordered for that 6 1/2 " lift you have.

First thing for you to do is go to the search on top of the page then look for crusier54 renix tips this will give some reading for a while on these years. 96 was a strange year for a lot of different things and the ECU may be one of them that go with the 96 engine you have. I have no knowledge on these so guessing on part of this and a lot of things not working.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 cylinders

Dang brother, that does sound like a mess. This was literally why I waited a very long time to buy an xj because I wanted one that was from 91-96 but 100% stock and not beat to hell. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Year: 1992 and 1996

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Welcome to the forum!

I hope you have a long arm kit ordered for that 6 1/2 " lift you have.
Yes sir I sure do it's a full BDS long arm kit, they make some GOOD stuff. It has shorties now and it's a real nightmare to drive. I'm going to take pics as soon as I get home. I appreciate the recommendation on the reading material, I need all the help I can get. A buddy said "take it to the dealer, they'll figure it out and make sure it's done right". Sure they will, 5 grand later. Haha