Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!

(1989 Cherokee Limited 4.0L I-6 Renix)

1) Is this a good fuel filter in your guys' opinion? Need to replace it because the current one is most likely filled with crud and can hear the fuel pump struggling (will replace whole fuel delivery system including pump eventually but can't afford it right now). My mechanic said just to get a new filter for now. This is the one I have in mind:Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo4294966383.jpg

2) My valve cover gasket is leaking and god knows how old it is so I'm going to replace it with the blue Fel-Pro gasket for $39 (is that it's typical price?): Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo555.jpg

And since I'm already replacing that gasket the valve cover will already be off so should I replace the piston head gasket (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called but not 100%) with the piston head Fel-Pro gasket so they wear at the same rates? Or is there any other brand that is better?

3) Because my valve cover will be off to replace the gasket I will obviously be cleaning thoroughly. Also want to paint with heat resistant (dispersing?) paint it to make it more attractive and if it does disperse heat that would be the main reason why because it gets hot here in Los Angeles during the summers. I was thinking either the Chrysler Hemi Orange Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo274.jpg (or would that be too tacky or kind of cool because jeep is a Chrysler company?) or Burnt Copper Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo902.jpg like NickInTimeFilms on YouTube did when he painted his recently Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo4294966645.jpg Gaskets, Fuel Pump, and Engine Paint: Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!-photo264.jpg

Which color do you guys like more? I will try to get an example of the Hemi Orange when I get a chance today. And also what brand and methods of application do you guys suggest using?

Any input is appreciated. Planning on doing this Sunday. After I clean the engine with that Purple Power stuff and a soft brush