Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED relay problems 92 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default LED relay problems 92 XJ

I replaced all the exterior lights in my son's 92 XJ to LED. Everything works as it should, except the from signal lights will not blink. They will flash one time right when the lever is activated then nothing. If I turn on the running lights, the led's will go on, but won't blink. If I put the incandescents back in the front, then everything, including the LED's on the rear, function properly.

I did some research, and read in several places people recommending I need an electronic flasher relay, specifically a Tridon EL12, (two pin) and then things would work fine. I went to NAPA, they were out of the EL12's, but they had a $30 one they said would work, but wouldn't take back once installed if it didn't work. I went to O'Reilley's, and they did not have a Tridon EL12, but they did have a, "Novita Heavy Duty El12". The employee told me it would work fine, even though it wasn't a Tridon. I did notice that several of the other relays on the shelf close by, said, "will work with LED's, incandescent, or a mixture of both". The Novita did NOT say that. I pointed that out to the guy helping me and he said not to worry, it's an electronic relay, it will work. Well I got home and it did NOT. In the meantime I put the incandescents back in the front and everything works so my son can drive it, but I want to make it work properly.

So, I ordered this on off Amazon that says it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any input? Should I be getting a different one?

edit to add, the other ones at O'Reilly's that said compatible with LED's and Incandescent did not have the 2 pin configuration.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Your turn signals failed because of the difference in amp draw between the incandescent and LED bulbs. The stock flasher relies on the amp draw of the bulbs. It needs a certain amount of amp draw to even flash at all. The LED's pull only a fraction of the amp's that the incandescent ones do. So no flash.
So you have to use a different flasher as you have found out. The so called "heavy duty" ones usually mean that they are made for a heavier amp load. Like more bulbs due to pulling a trailer.
The one you linked lists itself as a "no load fixed flasher" So it should be just fine. It will power up when you turn on the signal and flash the bulbs for you. It does the job in a different way than the stock one.
Hapdad
Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, thanks for the reply. Hope it works.