Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

HID problems

Old 06-30-2016, 11:33 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default HID problems

So recently I bought some HID's from someone here on the forum and installed them, everything works well, ballasts, wire harness, bulbs, everything 10/10.
After a few months, my headlights will randomly just not turn on... Sometimes after turning them on and then off 3-10 times, they'll finally turn on, sometimes I just turn my car off and wait and they turn on. Today, they wouldn't turn on after switching them on and off 20 times, and waiting like 10 min and restarting my car, so i opened the hood and checked all the wires and jostled them all around, made sure they're all connected, and they turned on perfectly.

Not sure what's wrong, a lot of other forums have said get a relay, but I have one... My thought is a bad ballast, but wouldn't that just cause one light to go out? Both of mine go out simultaneously.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, I'm not good with wiring so I figured I'd ask before buying a whole new kit... because i'm broke...
Old 07-01-2016, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the life of aftermarket hids. They are junk new, and they are junk used.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 AM
HUH? WHAT?

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
Welcome to the life of aftermarket hids. They are junk new, and they are junk used.
no other better way to explain it
Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Good hids use projector housings and your look 300 to 500 bucks for everything,If you have the drop in halogen replacement hids all of those are crap and having a hid in a halogen housing will blind people,If you have that set up its best to remove it now before it frys your headlight switch and go back to halogen lights.For good headlights on a budget h4 hella 5x7 housings and a headlight harness with the relays.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 AM

Year: 01

Originally Posted by j4mison View Post
So recently I bought some HID's from someone here on the forum and installed them, everything works well, ballasts, wire harness, bulbs, everything 10/10.
After a few months, my headlights will randomly just not turn on... Sometimes after turning them on and then off 3-10 times, they'll finally turn on, sometimes I just turn my car off and wait and they turn on. Today, they wouldn't turn on after switching them on and off 20 times, and waiting like 10 min and restarting my car, so i opened the hood and checked all the wires and jostled them all around, made sure they're all connected, and they turned on perfectly.

Not sure what's wrong, a lot of other forums have said get a relay, but I have one... My thought is a bad ballast, but wouldn't that just cause one light to go out? Both of mine go out simultaneously.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, I'm not good with wiring so I figured I'd ask before buying a whole new kit... because i'm broke...
Replace your relay. Check all your connections.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Good hids use projector housings and your look 300 to 500 bucks for everything,If you have the drop in halogen replacement hids all of those are crap and having a hid in a halogen housing will blind people,If you have that set up its best to remove it now before it frys your headlight switch and go back to halogen lights.For good headlights on a budget h4 hella 5x7 housings and a headlight harness with the relays.
i got the good ones, they're projector housings and new were somewhere around that price range. Morimoto H1 Projectors with Gatling Guns, and a morimoto wiring harness and they do have a relay..
Old 07-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by CR-Snow View Post
Replace your relay. Check all your connections.
So you think it's the relay, and nothing to do with the ballasts?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Check the voltage at the ballast power and ground you need good power to get them to turn on I wired in a relay to give the ballast power from the battery.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by tech View Post
Check the voltage at the ballast power and ground you need good power to get them to turn on I wired in a relay to give the ballast power from the battery.
I already have a relay... do i need to replace it?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

maybe , check the voltage.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:57 AM
Someone stole my badge!

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by j4mison View Post
So you think it's the relay, and nothing to do with the ballasts?
If they're both doing it simultaneously, I would check the relays, followed by the connections, the wiring, and then your headlight switch itself. One ballast going bad isn't going to effect the other light and they certainly won't act "identically" intermittent.