Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone successfully wired up heat from wj seats into xj?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Anyone successfully wired up heat from wj seats into xj?

Has anyone successfully wired up heat from a wj seat into an xj? Everything I read says it cant be done easily, well no where have I found where anyone has done it at all, im pretty sure I have everything I need but everyone talks about the wjs pcm controlling the thermostat and that if the seats are wired into the xj via a relay that they will continue to heat until the burn up/catch on fire, is this true? if so what is the right way to wire these seats in, I really don't want to use aftermarket pads as I already spent enough on the seat and have a wj that I can steal any more remaining parts that I need, sorry for another post asking this question but ive been searching all day and havnt found anyone that has successfully done it, thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 09:25 AM

guess im gonna get a wiring diagram and give it a shot and hope I don't burn down the jeep
Old 01-05-2016, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

You got relays and switches and all that goes with them?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM

yea but I don't know how to wire it like it was in the wj, according to the wire diagram its the pci bus that controls the temp
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would like to know this as well! I have seen conflicting info on weather or not the WJ seat heaters are controlled by the seat itself, or by something external (PCM, etc)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44956

Actually, I am still having a hard time identifying the connectors under the WJ seat at all. I bought my seats used off CL and the guy did not know if the seats were heated or not.

Anyone out there that can help identify each connector? Hoping one of them is the heated power connector

These are the three on the bottom side of the seat;
Name:  20160104_223628.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  293.9 KB

And I think this is the lumbar support motor or the backrest motor
Name:  20160104_223638.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  213.6 KB
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

This is my backup option;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Seats-Un...FWGFw6&vxp=mtr

Which is not too expensive considering its only $22.50 per seat. Probably not as nice as the built-in heaters in the WJ seats, but nicer than not having any working seat heaters
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I would like to know this as well! I have seen conflicting info on weather or not the WJ seat heaters are controlled by the seat itself, or by something external (PCM, etc)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44956

Actually, I am still having a hard time identifying the connectors under the WJ seat at all. I bought my seats used off CL and the guy did not know if the seats were heated or not.

Anyone out there that can help identify each connector? Hoping one of them is the heated power connector

These are the three on the bottom side of the seat;

And I think this is the lumbar support motor or the backrest motor
what year are your seats? mine are 2000 so I got stuck with the heater pads being sewed into the leather cover so that's why im trying to avoid using aftermarket heaters because it would take a while for them to heat all the way thru the factory pad, the extra padding and the cover, but I cant remember off hand which ones are for the heaters, ill check when I get home, but an easy way to tell is just pull one of the covers back a little and look for a pad, hopefully u got the ones that are "stuck" to the cushion so you can just remove them easily if you end up going with aftermarket ones, ill keep you posted if I make any progress on using the factory ones,
Old 01-08-2016, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Unfortunately the guy I bought em off was a bit slow and didn't have much info for me. I think it was an earlier WJ based on the color. I paid 80 for em which was pretty low compared to what people want for em up here, so I wouldn't be averse to just buying a kit.

Do the wires in your seat match up with what mine look like? I have no idea which connector is which and haven't been able to find any good info.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: i6

Originally Posted by XJ607
yea but I don't know how to wire it like it was in the wj, according to the wire diagram its the pci bus that controls the temp

Really? Huh my wj has the high low switch... Figured it was just a resistor to change from the high low temp. I could make it work... They sell kits to put heat in your seats you may be better off at seeing how an after market kit is wired after all, all you really need is power and ground and then some fuse relay etc
Old 01-08-2016, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Unfortunately the guy I bought em off was a bit slow and didn't have much info for me. I think it was an earlier WJ based on the color. I paid 80 for em which was pretty low compared to what people want for em up here, so I wouldn't be averse to just buying a kit.

Do the wires in your seat match up with what mine look like? I have no idea which connector is which and haven't been able to find any good info.

If you get a wiring diagram it should show you, on Mitchell it's all colour coded
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JeepJeepin
Really? Huh my wj has the high low switch... Figured it was just a resistor to change from the high low temp. I could make it work... They sell kits to put heat in your seats you may be better off at seeing how an after market kit is wired after all, all you really need is power and ground and then some fuse relay etc
The kit I linked to inclues all wiring including the buttons. No relay needed, only power and ground, and finding a place for the switch.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:23 AM

oh ok, so you have seats and a set of wires correct? And the pig tails under the seat is the source of bewilderment? The set of wires you have have clips on them or are they just straight wires?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default WJ Seats

This link might help, includes pinout diagram.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/seats/seats.htm
Attached Thumbnails Anyone successfully wired up heat from wj seats into xj?-seat_pinout.jpg  
Old 01-09-2016, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

The problem is my under seat wiring looks different for whatever reason.

I have one 4-pin connector with yellow + white, and red/black + red
Another 2 pin connector with 2 yellow wires
And a 2 pin connector with red + black

I also have 2 x 2-pin connectors around the motor for what I think is the back rest and lumbar motors

None of that matches up to any wiring diagrams I have seen. Is there a secondary harness that I am missing?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Is it a universal harness that came with your seat heaters? Or is it spicifically for the wj?

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully wired up heat from wj seats into xj?