MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

NEED HELP will not run

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Unhappy NEED HELP will not run

my brother bought an 1988 Comanche. he drove it home about 3miles. his son witch the truck was bought for started to clean it up. he washed the out side of the jeep. he was going to pull it back in but it would not start. it will crank over stumble for a sec and that's it. they started mess with it before I could get there. they replaced the plugs, wires and cap and rotor. they also replaced the fuel injector and seals. I tested the fuel presser. it had less then 2psi at the throttle body. so I disconnected the fuel supply line and hooked up to it. I had the same psi. it looked like the pump went bad to me. so they ordered one. they put it last night. it does the same thing. he is pissed off now. it could be the regulator in the throttle body but I have to get over there to check. what do you guys think am I going in the right direction? also forgot to say it will run on carb cleaner all day.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by desertrat71
my brother bought an 1988 Comanche. he drove it home about 3miles. his son witch the truck was bought for started to clean it up. he washed the out side of the jeep. he was going to pull it back in but it would not start. it will crank over stumble for a sec and that's it. they started mess with it before I could get there. they replaced the plugs, wires and cap and rotor. they also replaced the fuel injector and seals. I tested the fuel presser. it had less then 2psi at the throttle body. so I disconnected the fuel supply line and hooked up to it. I had the same psi. it looked like the pump went bad to me. so they ordered one. they put it last night. it does the same thing. he is pissed off now. it could be the regulator in the throttle body but I have to get over there to check. what do you guys think am I going in the right direction? also forgot to say it will run on carb cleaner all day.
It's not getting fuel.
Got power to that fuel pump?

Four or six cylinder?

There's a ground for the fuel pump behind the driver's taillight.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

2.5 4cylinder has power to the pump. went over to help to day and found out the new pump is not installed yet. he is having problems with the sending unit not sealing correctly to the fuel tank. some one be fore us used silicone glue to seal off the unit . the flange the holds the oring gasket is bent and no matter how we tried to bend it back to shape it will not seal and leaks gas. plus the seal is bad on the sending unit where the power wire go threw to the pump. it would leak there also . I told him lets try to find one in the junk yard. a new tank and sending unit is going to cost a lot.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:53 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Those rings are available at Napa.