MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

Ignition lock question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ignition lock question

Does anyone know if the ignition lock from a 91-92 Comanche would work for a 88 Comanche?

Wanted to get rid of the 2 key system and I've seen the door locks with Chrysler style keys
Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

In theory, yes. It is still a GM-based column. the door lock cyl will work for the doors as well.
I have the single-sided key locks in the 97-up doors of my MJ.
May have better luck finding XJ parts with matching door lock cyls.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if the later lock cylinders will swap into an earlier column or not, but I did swap a complete 92 tilt column into my 88 MJ.
Only difference was the 92 ignition switch plug layout is upside down compared to the 88 (92 column was from an auto, 88 is a 5spd, not sure if that made a difference).

I have heard the door lock cylinders are slighly larger on the 91 and later, but have not tried. But if you (metmknice) have the earlier locks on a late model door that may not be the case.

My own plan was to order new door cylinders (have a 92 parts xj with a bad door cylinder), and have the ignition cylinder rekeyed to the door key. Or have one of the new door cylinder re keyed to match the parts XJ key. That'll be in the hands of the locksmith though.

I can try putting the 92cyl into the 88 column after I get home wed night if you need.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-09-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockfrog
Not sure if the later lock cylinders will swap into an earlier column or not, but I did swap a complete 92 tilt column into my 88 MJ.
Only difference was the 92 ignition switch plug layout is upside down compared to the 88 (92 column was from an auto, 88 is a 5spd, not sure if that made a difference).

I have heard the door lock cylinders are slighly larger on the 91 and later, but have not tried. But if you (metmknice) have the earlier locks on a late model door that may not be the case.

My own plan was to order new door cylinders (have a 92 parts xj with a bad door cylinder), and have the ignition cylinder rekeyed to the door key. Or have one of the new door cylinder re keyed to match the parts XJ key. That'll be in the hands of the locksmith though.

I can try putting the 92cyl into the 88 column after I get home wed night if you need.
It's up to you if you wanna try it out I don't want to waste your time I already have the door locks and I'm waiting on the actuators to be delivered on Thursday before I start taking everything apart