KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Wow so much KL hate around here ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wow so much KL hate around here ...

Well I have been considering a newer car and really like the Trailhawk. I was looking @ a 2014/2015 and came over here to see everyone's thoughts. After reading these treads it sounds like I should run away fast due to the transmission I really like the look and has what Im looking for. Are they really that bad, I know only people with problems post but their are so many.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The 14's and 15's definitely had transmission problems. I would steer clear of them. Not sure how the new models are doing but dollars to donuts they're better than the 14/15 models
Old 07-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
The 14's and 15's definitely had transmission problems. I would steer clear of them. Not sure how the new models are doing but dollars to donuts they're better than the 14/15 models

That's what I was going to ask next, if it was resolved in the 2016's even though I usually prefer to to buy 1 - 2 years old to save several $$$
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Only thing I could recommend is if you do go with an older model, just make sure there is some kind of documentation for anything to do with that trans. Reflash, replacement, etc. I know they tried reflashing a lot of them but the problems would still reveal themselves.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

I have a 2014 Trailhawk with cold weather package.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the transmission.

I did have an issue with the entertainment system not wanting to play from a USB stick, but that was fixed with a software update.

I have had two issues with the air conditioning losing cold air (June 2015 and June 2016), but the dealer identified a crack in the line that was fixed last month.

Since then, it's been a total champ. And I think there are a legion of Trailhawk fans on this forum alone who don't have any issues either, but don't post about it.

I know other folks who have them, who weirdly aren't on this forum, who swear to me it's a great vehicle.

I don't deny a lot of people have/had problems with theirs--some quite serious, as with any vehicle. But the distaste for the KL series is dramatically overblown.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

But isn't everything you read on the internet true? I must seek out the Dalilama to find out.
Tranny mostly software related. My 2016 is fine. One too many gears tho, wouid have improved space weight and complexity without it. Just drove across Canada and try as I might, 9th was almost impossible to get into. Of course I don't go 100 mph any more. But that's just me.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i was considering the new trailhawk, but decided to go with a golf TDI instead. maybe next year...
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MoToad
Just drove across Canada and try as I might, 9th was almost impossible to get into. Of course I don't go 100 mph any more. But that's just me.
Some users here on this forum hit 9th gear, but it wasn't based on speed: on at least one occasion, they reached it when descending down hill at around 70-80mph. It's intriguing exactly what 9th gear is for.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

I have had it kick in at 80 90 downhill (long downhill) but would not stay there on the flat at 80.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoToad
I have had it kick in at 80 90 downhill (long downhill) but would not stay there on the flat at 80.
Um, indeed, it may have been you I was quoting. Appreciate you backing up my claim, since I doubt I've ever hit 9th. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:18 PM

New here, but having been a member in many other forums it seems that hate gets the most mileage. This is true of all internet discussion platforms, those who are upset are the loudest.

There are documented transmission problems in '14 and '15 models, so the gripes there are valid. But FCA seems to be selling a lot of them nonetheless - to me included.

The KL are a departure from the "traditional" Jeep - much more "car" in their DNA than a Wrangler - FWD, suburban friendly. But my $0.02, a reasonable midpoint between the Wrangler and a Grand.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM

Welcome!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:14 PM

Listen, I love my '14 Cherokee. I just got 30 mph when driving from hills of WV to Virginia beach. I avg 24 in WV daily driving. The creature comforts are awesome. It was awesome in the snow with avg tires.

I hate the transmission. I have had every tsb fix flash recall done. They even changed the valve body which didn't have a tsb on it. I've had it in 4 times and I just done have time or vacation days left to take it in anymore. It still acts up. It still hesitates. It seems that the trail Hawks have less problems. Maybe it is the active drive II in general that less problems.

I have latitude with AD I.

My mother in law has a 15 sport 4 cult and hates How it drives. They have big hills and cruise won't maintain speed up or down (and yes I know some manuals say not to use it on hills but I have never had a problems with any vehicle on hills with cruise)...her sister had a 15 trail hawk, took it in for an oil change and they kept it and put a new transmission in it. She didn't have any known drivability issues, so why did they do this? There is no tsb, no recall, the inconsistency gets me, there needs to be a recall in the tranny.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 AM

The news tranny's are not like the 14 and 15's. There is a new turbo tranny they use now. faster processor and other improvements. I've been recommended on my 14 for one of these new ones. The tech told me I will be blown away and not even know when it shifts, it's that smooth. We will see!

All else is amazing on the Cherokee. Best ride for a SUV and the electronic toys are awesome!
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 PM

Default New Trans in 2014

Originally Posted by guitar54
The news tranny's are not like the 14 and 15's. There is a new turbo tranny they use now. faster processor and other improvements. I've been recommended on my 14 for one of these new ones. The tech told me I will be blown away and not even know when it shifts, it's that smooth. We will see!

All else is amazing on the Cherokee. Best ride for a SUV and the electronic toys are awesome!
I just had that new trans put in my 2014. I actually see 2nd gear now and it is for sure smooth shifting! Totally different than the original

Quick Reply: Wow so much KL hate around here ...