KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

UConnect weirdness

Old 04-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6
Default UConnect weirdness

Setup: 2014 Trailhawk with 8.4AN.

Issue: the USB input (either one of the two) basically locks up and refuses to work.

It always happens after an engine start--it doesn't happen midway through music playback. In other words, I start the vehicle and... nothing. The media screen says "Connect media."

Unplugging and reinserting the USB stick does nothing, nor does moving it from the dashboard to the center one.

Turning off the vehicle and restarting it seems to fix the problem.

Curiously:

1. If I switch from Media to Radio, the radio defaults to some random FM radio station, NOT where I last had it set.

2. Seems to happen *after* using the nav system.

What would really help? The ability to "reboot" the uConnect system without turning the vehicle off and on.

Anyone else experiencing this weirdness? A search of online forums suggests to me this is a widespread problem across Fiat/Chrysler models.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Press the center of the round Volume/Mute and round Tune/Scroll button for about 4/5 seconds will start a reboot sequence.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks so much! I'll definitely give that a try.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 3.2 V6

I found a similar issue if I had my phone connected to a USB port when starting the car. Even though I'd been playing from a USB key in the dash before I parked the car, the Uconnect would try and access the phone via USB on startup, and as the keypad lock prevents access to the phone via USB, it displayed a "Connect Media" message.
I now recharge my phone via the cigarette lighter socket, rather than the USB, and the system behaves itself.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 PM

Engine: 3.2 V6

Another weird thing I've noticed is that the frequency display on the radio often shows 99.9 - even though it's tuned (and playing) to a station with a completely different frequency.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ozhawk
Another weird thing I've noticed is that the frequency display on the radio often shows 99.9 - even though it's tuned (and playing) to a station with a completely different frequency.
Never thought to check that; I'll bet that's what mine is doing, meaning it's not as random as I thought.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM

Success! The reset trick worked perfectl! Thanks to GCWIMMER for solid advice.

Also, curious, I checked the radio and it was sitting on FM 98.3, which is static in my area. I'll see if it keeps going here or goes to some other random frequency.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

as quick as i can afford to yank the POS 8.4AN out and slap an alpine in it .. im going to.. i am pissed off about not being able to use my device IM PAYING for... which means as soon as the subscription is dead the ability to use hands free is dead also..
im not paying the company for life so i can use my hardware.. that crap is not happening..
i dont mind paying for the other stuff, apps etc.. weather and useless stuff...
i am going to find a hack to unlock my hands free voice text.. if i cant.. i simply will buy something i can use.. period.. F*@(@ a bunch of that nonsense. for one, everyone is complaining about UCONNECT!! i have not met anyone that can say they have a solid operational system... and then they expect US to shell out a subscription fee for hands free?
on a device we own... awwww hell no!! everyone should flood their switchboards with complaints.. and protest... or shell out your hard earned money.. im not.. im paying enough for the damn thing as it is... whats next? a card swipe on the door handle? or dash? .. lets all pay to use our glove boxes!! and lets charge a fee for the use of seat belts too.. swipe the card to buckle up!!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Watchful
Setup: 2014 Trailhawk with 8.4AN.

Issue: the USB input (either one of the two) basically locks up and refuses to work.

It always happens after an engine start--it doesn't happen midway through music playback. In other words, I start the vehicle and... nothing. The media screen says "Connect media."

Unplugging and reinserting the USB stick does nothing, nor does moving it from the dashboard to the center one.

Turning off the vehicle and restarting it seems to fix the problem.

Curiously:

1. If I switch from Media to Radio, the radio defaults to some random FM radio station, NOT where I last had it set.

2. Seems to happen *after* using the nav system.

What would really help? The ability to "reboot" the uConnect system without turning the vehicle off and on.

Anyone else experiencing this weirdness? A search of online forums suggests to me this is a widespread problem across Fiat/Chrysler models.
i posted the soft reboot steps, courtesy of some radom dude at uconnect.. i blessed em out for us all.. wurd..
Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, curious, I checked the radio and it was sitting on FM 98.3, which is static in my area. I'll see if it keeps going here or goes to some other random frequency.
Try resetting memory favorites(mirror/seat/radio station) on the driver door, then re-link to your fob. The memory maybe inadvertently set to an out of area radio station and is resetting when you use your remote fob.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
i posted the soft reboot steps, courtesy of some radom dude at uconnect.. i blessed em out for us all.. wurd..
I didn't need all those steps. I was able to reset easily with the vehicle in motion just by pushing and holding the volume and tune ***** for a few seconds. It's worked about five times in a row.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 AM

I didn't need all those steps. I was able to reset easily with the vehicle in motion just by pushing and holding the volume and tune ***** for a few seconds. It's worked about five times in a row.
i held the button... lol nothing happened... i did the soft reboot steps.. it happened... head scratching time... lol... technology never ceases to amaze and tick me off..
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Hold both buttons for about 5-7 seconds, then let go. Wait a second or two--the screen will go black and start over. I'm using the AN system, so yours might be different.

Now if I could just get the USB interface to read all the songs on my thumb drive, and not just the handful it wants to...but that seems to be a universal problem across many manufacturers, not just uConnect.