KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Capacities

Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Towing Capacities

I'm looking for a used Cherokee with a towing package and i'm finding less then 50k miles for around $15k. I think the price is great and I could get 10 years out of a truck like that. The problem is that I need at least 3500lb towing capacity so i've been using the VIN decoder to sort through the used vehicles on cars.com
What exactly is the difference between 2000lb and 4500lb towing capacity? I thought the 6-cylinder was the determining factor, but i'm seeing 4-cylinder trucks with 4500lb capacity under the 'Tech Specs'. The link is below.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/vindec...PJMCB2FW552119
What's the deal? Can I get a 4-cylinder laredo for cheap and pull my boat? $15k for a relatively new car, 27mpg, and towing capable all sounds amazing and too good to be true.
ACleverUsername is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:16 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Default

Its all about whether the "Tow Package" is factory installed.....better engine cooling, maybe a tranny cooler, not sure what else that could bump up the weight limit like that.
I do know mine has the tow package with the V6 and I plan to use it....I avoided the 4cyl for that reason alone.
bobup is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 09:16 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Gatoraied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tampa, Fl & N.E. Mn
Posts: 44
Year: 2016 Trailhawk
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Towing

Originally Posted by ACleverUsername View Post
I'm looking for a used Cherokee with a towing package and i'm finding less then 50k miles for around $15k. I think the price is great and I could get 10 years out of a truck like that. The problem is that I need at least 3500lb towing capacity so i've been using the VIN decoder to sort through the used vehicles on cars.com
What exactly is the difference between 2000lb and 4500lb towing capacity? I thought the 6-cylinder was the determining factor, but i'm seeing 4-cylinder trucks with 4500lb capacity under the 'Tech Specs'. The link is below.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/vindec...PJMCB2FW552119
What's the deal? Can I get a 4-cylinder laredo for cheap and pull my boat? $15k for a relatively new car, 27mpg, and towing capable all sounds amazing and too good to be true.
Laredo's are not KL Cherokees and better you post in a different forum. If a KL cherokee, I'm certain you will not get 4500# with a 4cyl regardless of who installed the tow package. Even the new 4cyl turbo cannot tow 4500#. V6 is needed to get maximum towing on a KL Cherokee.
Gatoraied is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 03:54 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SK
Posts: 60
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L
Default

Originally Posted by Gatoraied View Post
Laredo's are not KL Cherokees and better you post in a different forum. If a KL cherokee, I'm certain you will not get 4500# with a 4cyl regardless of who installed the tow package. Even the new 4cyl turbo cannot tow 4500#. V6 is needed to get maximum towing on a KL Cherokee.
2.4L Factory Tow Package or not = 2000lbs
2.0L Turbo Factory Tow Package = 4000lbs
2.0L Turbo NO Factory Tow Package = 2000lbs
3.2L V6 Factory Tow Package = 4500lbs
3.2L V6 NO Factory Tow Package = 2000lbs
Tyler-98-W68 is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 PM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default

Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
2.4L Factory Tow Package or not = 2000lbs
2.0L Turbo Factory Tow Package = 4000lbs
2.0L Turbo NO Factory Tow Package = 2000lbs
3.2L V6 Factory Tow Package = 4500lbs
3.2L V6 NO Factory Tow Package = 2000lbs
I bought an 18 trailhawk w no factory tow but had Mopar version added at dealership. I get 4500 confirmed by Vin. I think because trailhawk already had the extra trans cooling, which is the differentiator, they updated the Vin to show the new tow rating so I don't void warranty. I pulled my motorcycle from STL to Mrytle Beach and back through a hurricane last year no issues.
Nathan Eberlin is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Crazy 8s
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
17
11-24-2014 08:13 PM
JerseyTrueBlue
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
5
11-14-2011 05:48 PM
BillyBoy
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
19
10-11-2011 10:57 AM
Arab1970
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
20
02-02-2010 10:49 PM
XJ-Roz
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
31
03-21-2009 09:23 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Capacities


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: