Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel tank capacities

Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel tank capacities

The manual suggests that the standard fuel tank capacity is 13.5 gallons and the 'optional' tank was 20 gallons.

I have read somewhere that the two tanks are actually the same physical dimensions and that the standard tank merely has a longer filler neck that goes inside the tank that only allows it to hold 13.5 gallons.

Is there some sneaky trick to upgrade a standard tank to hold 20 gallons? That would be a pretty useful mod if it could be done fairly easily and safely!

Also, when does the little low fuel warning light come on for you? How many gallons are left in the tank on average when that light comes on?

'88 4.0 here. I imagine other years may be different.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
The manual suggests that the standard fuel tank capacity is 13.5 gallons and the 'optional' tank was 20 gallons.

I have read somewhere that the two tanks are actually the same physical dimensions and that the standard tank merely has a longer filler neck that goes inside the tank that only allows it to hold 13.5 gallons.

Is there some sneaky trick to upgrade a standard tank to hold 20 gallons? That would be a pretty useful mod if it could be done fairly easily and safely!

Also, when does the little low fuel warning light come on for you? How many gallons are left in the tank on average when that light comes on?

'88 4.0 here. I imagine other years may be different.
It is true about the tanks being the same size and the filler tube being different lengths.

I can't say you gain anything by altering the filler neck, since when I bought my new tank, the 20 gallon was actually cheaper than the 13.5 gallon one.

My light doesn't even come on anymore, I was down in the red on the gauge last week and put almost 19 gallons in and it was still off.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

the thirst light comes on at the last white line before red on my 97, a lil bell dings and tells me to empty my wallet again
Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Put a sender assembly from a 20 gallon tank in it.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 PM

Year: 1987

My 87 has a 20 gallon tank,when my light blinks when making turns it takes 12-13 gallons.When on steady it needs 15 gallons.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Put a sender assembly from a 20 gallon tank in it.
I think for me it is just that the light is burned out, it used to come on but now doesn't. Same thing for the high beam indicator light, some times it works, some times it doesn't.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Rule of thumb I found out over 50 yrs. ago "Any Car Runs Better On The Top Half Of Fuel Tank".

No matter what the size just fill up when it shows a half a tank........then you will never run out of fuel. Or I should say that I never have in 54 yrs. of driving following that rule my father told me, have I not once ran out of fuel.

Oh yeah he told me that when I knew about everything there was to know at the time, I'm sure most can remember those days.

A little trivia for you older guys at that time I was driving a car with the fuel tank filler cap behind the tail light, this company only did this a couple of yrs.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Rule of thumb I found out over 50 yrs. ago "Any Car Runs Better On The Top Half Of Fuel Tank". No matter what the size just fill up when it shows a half a tank........then you will never run out of fuel. Or I should say that I never have in 54 yrs. of driving following that rule my father told me, have I not once ran out of fuel. Oh yeah he told me that when I knew about everything there was to know at the time, I'm sure most can remember those days. A little trivia for you older guys at that time I was driving a car with the fuel tank filler cap behind the tail light, this company only did this a couple of yrs.
'56 Chevy?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

I dunno about YOU guys, but Ol' Red can only eat 17.68 gallons of gas at a time. that is all the way full, (gas right at the top of the filler tube.) so I guess 20 gallons is not 20 gallons.... and I got no "light' which tells me when I low. I always and I mean always run her until I get to the very end of the RED mark (reserve), never had any issues.....except......recently, (after 289K miles) my fuel pump finally went. am sure I am gonna drop the tank next spring and flush it out, as the old pump had NO STRAINER left on it. it had eaten away!!!!!!!

just some data for the masses..........

cheers!

cpnwrench
Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

I dunno about YOU guys, but Ol' Red can only eat 17.68 gallons of gas at a time. that is all the way full, (gas right at the top of the filler tube.) so I guess 20 gallons is not 20 gallons.... and I got no "light' which tells me when I low. I always and I mean always run her until I get to the very end of the RED mark (reserve), never had any issues.....except......recently, (after 289K miles) my fuel pump finally went. am sure I am gonna drop the tank next spring and flush it out, as the old pump had NO STRAINER left on it. it had eaten away!!!!!!!

just some data for the masses..........

cheers!

cpnwrench
those liars my build sheet says "8 additional gallons of fuel" yah 8 if the standard tank was 9.5 gal

i havnt really filled it yet to see if mine drinks all 20 or less like yurs.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!! You have the "Canadian" build.......

They only make a 38 Litre tank for those!!!!

and only ESSO gas!

kidding Mr.

Enjoy!

cpnwrench
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by cpnwrench

OH WAIT!!!!!!!!!! You have the "Canadian" build.......

They only make a 38 Litre tank for those!!!!

and only ESSO gas!

kidding Mr.

Enjoy!

cpnwrench
lol. Mine was made in Michigan so it's in miles and gallons. Which really screws me up somedays. But I do buy esso gas haha
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by LAF1269
'56 Chevy?
BINGO!! Your exactly right with the year and the mighty "265 ci." engine.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Rule of thumb I found out over 50 yrs. ago "Any Car Runs Better On The Top Half Of Fuel Tank".

No matter what the size just fill up when it shows a half a tank........then you will never run out of fuel. I not once ran out of fuel.
I used much worse wisdom: I always carried a spare fuel can. The rule was, when I ran out of gas, only put half the can in the tank. Then the next time, only half of what was left in the can, etc. Logic being, There will always be gas in the spare can.

Well, sort of...

It was a practical way of learning fractions, I guess.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 AM

Year: 1988

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
I used much worse wisdom: I always carried a spare fuel can. The rule was, when I ran out of gas, only put half the can in the tank. Then the next time, only half of what was left in the can, etc. Logic being, There will always be gas in the spare can.

Well, sort of...

It was a practical way of learning fractions, I guess.

Zeno's paradox...

http://platonicrealms.com/encycloped...e-and-Achilles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacities