Disabling Start Stop - Jeep Cherokee Forum

KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Disabling Start Stop

Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Year: 2016 Trailhawk
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Disabling Start Stop: Did not work

Seems I got ahead of myself in thinking a solution I had discovered in my original post below, actually worked. It didn't. Through desperation, the power of persuasion and a misleading YouTube video, I thought the Engine Off On Power Delay setting was for the Start Stop function. I told my wife I disabled it with excitement but all that was quickly tempered when she returned home with the car to tell me the engine shut off at the first stop light! Oh well...

The Start Stop function on my 2016 Trailhawk has been a nuisance to me and for many others, least of which is the wear it puts on battery and starter. Yesterday and fortunately, in my driveway, my battery of less than 30 months died and I was thinking since the day I got my Jeep, things like this would happen because of repeated starts. I searched online and found various fixes from a $129.00 OBD module that plugs into the diagnostic socket and re-programs the cars CPU, to a few other fixes, some permanent and some temporary. What I found most interesting and surprising was that I could basically eliminate the Start Stop function rather easily, albeit not 100%, but in most cases pretty much totally. I found while exploring in detail all the controls located on the Jeeps Uconnect screen, a window and controls I've never seen.

I opened "Apps"> Settings>ENGINE OFF ON POWER DELAY and Holy Mother of Start-Stop! I could set the delay for that nuisance function all the way up to 10 minutes! Done deal, simple. Yeah, sure it only took me 2 1/2 years and I'm probably the only one who didn't know about this fix but just in case there's a couple guys out there like me, I hope this helps. Thanks-gator

Last edited by Gatoraied; 06-10-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Disabling Start Stop

I don't know if this will help as I have 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. I disabled the Stop Start feature by disconnecting the cable that is connected to the current sensor connected at the negative terminal of the battery. I believe the sensor monitors the current draw from the battery when the engine shuts down and if it's too high the engine will keep running. I get a brief warning that the Stop Start need to be serviced every time I start and a continuous small orange "A!" just above the fuel gage. I have been running like this for several months with no ill effects. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:22 PM

Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2

How much MPG loss have you experienced from stopting the stop start?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I did not do a before and after test, my main reason for disabling the stop start function was to save wear on the starter and battery.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

does the KL not have a separate 48 volt battery for the stop/start function? i know my JL does. but i got a 6 speed stick, so it only shuts off if i put the jeep in neutral and take my foot off the clutch. then as soon as i press the clutch back in, the engine will start. i also have a button on the dash so i can disable it upon start up, but need to do it every time. i just leave it in gear with my foot on the clutch at a light, and it won't shut off.

i'm thinking maybe you could disconnect the 48 volt battery to disable the stop/start function. my 48 volt battery is underneath my main battery, it's about the size of a motorcycle battery.