KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2015 Cherokee Latitude transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2015 Cherokee Latitude transmission fluid?

I was told at my oil change that I should get the transmission fluid done every 60,000 miles. I am currently at 80,000. I was calling around to price the work and I had one dealer dept. tell me that the 8-9 shift do not have the transmission fluid changed or managed? It would be a terrible mistake. I don't understand what he means. What type of transmission service do I actually need. for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Be very skeptical of corner-street quick oil change places. Many frequently recommend unnecessary or hard-to-verify services, particularly the transmission fluid change. Your 2015 Cherokee shouldn't require a transmission fluid change for the life of the vehicle--that's from your owner's manual. If you're having transmission problems that indicate you're low on fluid, take it to a dealership and have them verify. Odds are good there's nothing wrong with your fluid level.

You might also start finding another oil change place, if they're telling you this at 80,000 miles. I can't say for sure they're wrong, but I've seen this enough times to suspect they're screwing you.

If I'm wrong in this advice, I hope other forum members are quick to correct me, but I'd guess you're fine if you're not noting any problems.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

X2 Watchful- some of these places are total garbage. With the new jeeps, just take it to the dealer for transmission service, they will have the proper tools and skills (hopefully) to do any necessary work. I hate the "lifetime service interval" stuff, but thats the way everything is going nowadays.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:26 PM

Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2

I'm not sure what 'lifetime' really means. If its shifting normally I wouldn't do anything. I might have it serviced at 150,000 if I planned to keep it running. I don't love dealers, only go there for warranty work but I would totally reject a quick oil change place that recommended changing the AT @ 80K miles, espically if they claim that is the Jeep scheduled service.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:19 PM

Default Slight clarification!

Originally Posted by Watchful
Be very skeptical of corner-street quick oil change places. Many frequently recommend unnecessary or hard-to-verify services, particularly the transmission fluid change. Your 2015 Cherokee shouldn't require a transmission fluid change for the life of the vehicle--that's from your owner's manual. If you're having transmission problems that indicate you're low on fluid, take it to a dealership and have them verify. Odds are good there's nothing wrong with your fluid level.

You might also start finding another oil change place, if they're telling you this at 80,000 miles. I can't say for sure they're wrong, but I've seen this enough times to suspect they're screwing you.

If I'm wrong in this advice, I hope other forum members are quick to correct me, but I'd guess you're fine if you're not noting any problems.
so this place is both right and wrong, even “service free” transmissions need the fluid to be replaced as it breaks down. However, you’re right to say that the manual states the oil is good for the life time of the vehicle, HOWEVER lifetime of the vehicle is 80-120k (it will last a lot longer than this but this is what they mean). Every dealer will recommend to change your atf every 100k miles to extend the life of the transmission, if you’re way past that do not change it as it can male more harm than good this is one of those early maintenance is better deals
Old 07-29-2022, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,083 Likes on 867 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

Also make sure you use the correct Mopar fluid, not whatever the quickie lube place has on tap. Don't forget to check the other fluids such as the rear PTU unit.