KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

considering a 2015 Latitude - concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default considering a 2015 Latitude - concerns?

I just test drove one - V6 9spd auto with tow package - LOVED it - seriously considering a purchase. The power was unbelievable and handling great - MPG shows to be 28 hwy with active drive I on the window sticker. I am looking to tow a small (3000lbs loaded) egg shaped travel trailer all over the place and the ratings fit well. From what I can tell the tongue max weight is 450lbs and 4500lbs total towed weight and the max payload is 1500lbs (4000 curb weight and 5500 GVWR). The tow package gives a trans cooler, wiring, 2" hitch, trailer sway control etc... All I have to do is add a DirectLink trailer brake controller (reads right off the OBDII port to control brakes) and an Andersen weight distribution hitch and I am in business - Am I missing anything? I have read someone else tows the same trailer is getting 20MPG towing and has seen as low as 17MPG towing. I have heard of 30MPG highway not towing with the V6 auto active drive I - is this normal? I have read about transmission issues on this new trans - should I be concerned with a just built one? What else should I be looking at - concerns? Thanks all...
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by brsedwebt
I just test drove one - V6 9spd auto with tow package - LOVED it - seriously considering a purchase. The power was unbelievable and handling great - MPG shows to be 28 hwy with active drive I on the window sticker. I am looking to tow a small (3000lbs loaded) egg shaped travel trailer all over the place and the ratings fit well. From what I can tell the tongue max weight is 450lbs and 4500lbs total towed weight and the max payload is 1500lbs (4000 curb weight and 5500 GVWR). The tow package gives a trans cooler, wiring, 2" hitch, trailer sway control etc... All I have to do is add a DirectLink trailer brake controller (reads right off the OBDII port to control brakes) and an Andersen weight distribution hitch and I am in business - Am I missing anything? I have read someone else tows the same trailer is getting 20MPG towing and has seen as low as 17MPG towing. I have heard of 30MPG highway not towing with the V6 auto active drive I - is this normal? I have read about transmission issues on this new trans - should I be concerned with a just built one? What else should I be looking at - concerns? Thanks all...
programming of the system to how you drive, it would make sense to hook something up, and haul it under stress... lol.. so it gets used to being a work suv... sounds crazy... but it is what it is..
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 PM

I still have not purchased travel trailer or a Jeep yet. I can't seem to get a dealer or Jeep to tell me what the real capacities are.... I see 4500 total max towed weight but nowhere can I find tongue weight (I am assuming 10% = 450lbs but I could be wrong). I see a tire sticker in the door jamb that says maximum occupants and cargo weight it 1000lbs but does that also include tongue weight???? It would stand to reason that tongue weight is a separate addition given the 4044lb curb weight minus the 5500lb GVWR would equal about 1500lbs (1000lbs people and cargo + 450lbs tongue weight) and the axle capacities are about 2800lbs each per the sticker. I have also not been able to find what the total CGVWR is - I assume it to be 5500lbs GVWR + 4500lbs towed weight = 10000lbs but I could be wrong too. I have also not been able to find if a weight distribution hitch is advisable or not. Does anybody know where I can get all this info? I would think this information would be readily available - especially since Jeep markets this vehicle with a tow package....
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=brsedwebt;3075881]I still have not purchased travel trailer or a Jeep yet. I can't seem to get a dealer or Jeep to tell me what the real capacities are.... I see 4500 total max towed weight but nowhere can I find tongue weight (I am assuming 10% = 450lbs but I could be wrong). /QUOTE]

Correct, from the Owners Manual: "Tongue Weight (TW)
The tongue weight is the downward force exerted on the
hitch ball by the trailer. In most cases it should not be
more than 10% of the trailer load(4,500 lbs for the OEM factory tow package). You must consider this
as part of the load on your vehicle.".

Last edited by GCWIMMER; 04-18-2015 at 08:48 AM.