KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2014 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2014 cherokee

I am going to rust poof this new cherkee... I need to know where I can safely drill holes and spray inside the doors and jams. Steve
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I'm not sure about hitting anything, but I can pretty much guarantee that if you drill a bunch of holes in the vehicle you will void the warranty.

The KL like most newer vehicles is made from galvanized steel and was likely dipped in a paint bath at the factory to ensure anyplace that water can get is coated.

As long as you wash it after winter to get the salt off, rust likely won't be an issue (with galvanized steel rust likely won't be an issue for 10+ years even if you don't wash it). At most you may want to under-coat it (but make sure it adheres well and drain holes are not blocked, the professionally applied stuff is generally better than anything out of a spray can) if it didn't come with under-coat from the factory but anything beyond that is probably unnecessary and may do more harm than good.

Not to mention that with the complex uni-body structure of the KL holes in places like the door-jam could potentially compromise the structure and increase the risk of injury in a crash. Unlike an XJ where the uni-frame/uni-body basically consists of a body welded on top of a ladder frame, the KL uses a "space-frame" like most newer uni-body cars and has no uni-frame rails, instead relying on the door-jams/pillars, rockers, floor-pan, and roof for its structure so you have to be allot more careful where you drill or cut.

Last edited by dmill89; 05-03-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dmill89
I'm not sure about hitting anything, but I can pretty much guarantee that if you drill a bunch of holes in the vehicle you will void the warranty.

The KL like most newer vehicles is made from galvanized steel and was likely dipped in a paint bath at the factory to ensure anyplace that water can get is coated.

As long as you wash it after winter to get the salt off, rust likely won't be an issue (with galvanized steel rust likely won't be an issue for 10+ years even if you don't wash it). At most you may want to under-coat it (but make sure it adheres well and drain holes are not blocked, the professionally applied stuff is generally better than anything out of a spray can) if it didn't come with under-coat from the factory but anything beyond that is probably unnecessary and may do more harm than good.

Not to mention that with the complex uni-body structure of the KL holes in places like the door-jam could potentially compromise the structure and increase the risk of injury in a crash. Unlike an XJ where the uin-frame/uni-body basically consists of a body welded on top of a ladder frame, the KL uses a "space-frame" like most newer uni-body cars and has no uni-frame rails, instead relying on the door-jams/pillars, rockers, floor-pan, and roof for its structure so you have to be allot more careful where you drill or cut.
Well stated and true.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve harper
I am going to rust poof this new cherkee... I need to know where I can safely drill holes and spray inside the doors and jams. Steve
Guys I don't care about a warranty... I keep cars rust free for 25 years with this process...far outlasting any warranty. In ohio with the brine you can use the warranty for T paper...don't responced unless you know where to drill and spray. I have done this for 35 years. I have a rust free 1988 cougar and a 92 cheve pick up..1 hole in door and 1 in each rocker.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by steve harper
Guys I don't care about a warranty... I keep cars rust free for 25 years with this process...far outlasting any warranty. In ohio with the brine you can use the warranty for T paper...don't responced unless you know where to drill and spray. I have done this for 35 years. I have a rust free 1988 cougar and a 92 cheve pick up..1 hole in door and 1 in each rocker.
Well then, why don't you just do it yourself, followed by a nice write-up including photos?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Well then, why don't you just do it yourself, followed by a nice write-up including photos?
I concur. No reason to be a dick about people responding about your question. GEESH.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by cm75
I concur. No reason to be a dick about people responding about your question. GEESH.
Especially when you're a renowned expert in an area like that. Why ask *******es like us for advice and then ***** about it?

I'm eagerly awaiting the write-up......