Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6
Talking Right out of the gate asking questions

Hello,
Just joined the forum. Plan on spending lots of time on here, picking brains and putting my 2 cents worth in here and there. And I have a big bucket of pennies.

Little about my self. Live in the great state of Washington, the land of eternal sunshine....er, something. I've owned a Jeep or two in my life, 8 to be specific, this being my 3rd xj. Believe it or not though, the first 6 Jeeps, never went off road. I liked the look and they did good in the snow, but I'm no mechanic (getting there through necessity though..lol), so never wanted to break something and didn't think I would enjoy wheelin anyways. Bunch of rednecks and all.. Then, one day out of the blue, call it an early mid-life crisis, or temporary insanity, I just up and bought a 12,000 dollar purpose built rock crawler. It was a '52 CJa. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but took it out and beat the hell out of it and had a complete blast doing it. I must have been doing something wrong though, cause other than a bad starter...I never broke. Not one thing. Long sad story, short...I ended up selling it and got stuck driving a porsche boxster for the next few years. It did terribly off road..haha. Never could quite get rid of the wheelin bug though. Recently, my wife decided she wanted a new car. I jumped at the chance and got rid of my porsche. I bought an SAS toyota wheeler and 13hrs later, traded it for my XJ. Longest I have ever owned a Toyota. I just realized how long this post has gotten, so you will have to tune in tommorow to find out how 5 years of not breaking came back on me, all in one week and how a non mechanic learned to be a mechanic and built this sad, sad little xj into "my little Monster". Then I'll ask some questions...haha.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Notquitestock
Hello,
Just joined the forum. Plan on spending lots of time on here, picking brains and putting my 2 cents worth in here and there. And I have a big bucket of pennies.

Little about my self. Live in the great state of Washington, the land of eternal sunshine....er, something. I've owned a Jeep or two in my life, 8 to be specific, this being my 3rd xj. Believe it or not though, the first 6 Jeeps, never went off road. I liked the look and they did good in the snow, but I'm no mechanic (getting there through necessity though..lol), so never wanted to break something and didn't think I would enjoy wheelin anyways. Bunch of rednecks and all.. Then, one day out of the blue, call it an early mid-life crisis, or temporary insanity, I just up and bought a 12,000 dollar purpose built rock crawler. It was a '52 CJa. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but took it out and beat the hell out of it and had a complete blast doing it. I must have been doing something wrong though, cause other than a bad starter...I never broke. Not one thing. Long sad story, short...I ended up selling it and got stuck driving a porsche boxster for the next few years. It did terribly off road..haha. Never could quite get rid of the wheelin bug though. Recently, my wife decided she wanted a new car. I jumped at the chance and got rid of my porsche. I bought an SAS toyota wheeler and 13hrs later, traded it for my XJ. Longest I have ever owned a Toyota. I just realized how long this post has gotten, so you will have to tune in tommorow to find out how 5 years of not breaking came back on me, all in one week and how a non mechanic learned to be a mechanic and built this sad, sad little xj into "my little Monster". Then I'll ask some questions...haha.
Welcome. You have owned a Toyota 13 hours longer than I have haha. I'm a computer guy and from the love of 4-wheeling I am now a self taught shade tree mechanic on mine and buddies rigs. Jeeps will do that to you. I am currently doing an engine swap. This is a great place to ask questions.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.