Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline-6 4.0L
Default Ouch! That hurt!

Howdy everyone! The name's William.

My history:
I bought a Wrangler brand spanking new in 1998, but 10 years later a drunk driver would hit me, ripping my rear axle out.

I tried to fix it myself, but little did I know, the rear axle was tweaked. The rear wheels were not parallel to each other, and that made driving on the snowy Michigan roads pretty hazardous. After the exhaust manifold broke loose, I figured it was another result from the accident, and wondered what else may pop up as a result from it. So I reluctantly decided to let the Jeep go (I still have it, but didn't want to put anymore money into it, figuring it was a lost cause).

I'd been wanting another Jeep 4.0L so I could scavenge parts off the Wrangler, and just recently bought this:

It's a 1999 XJ. It basically came as you see it. 135,xxx miles. The PO took fairly good care of it, but it still needs a little work. The first thing to go was his strange "lifts":

I'm not sure what they are, but I can't imagine it's a very good way to lift a suspension... Anyway, they're gone now!

One of the first things I did was replace his crappy worn out and stained seats with the ones from my Wrangler:

They bolted right in and work perfectly.

The next thing was to replace his worn out steering wheel with the one from my Wrangler:

I can't explain it, but it feels really nice to have my steering wheel back. I'm the only one that has ever used this wheel, and it's in much nicer shape than the original one.

So, I guess I'm slowly recuperating my money from the Wrangler. Glad I kept it.

Some other things I've done is to spray that rubber undercoating stuff under the Jeep, I had to realign the steering wheel from the PO's lift (it runs straight again!), and replaced the broken oil cap using the Wrangler cap. Now I have to realign the driver-side door (it's out of kilter for some reason), and do something about the few spots of rust on the body, plus little odds and ends type stuff.

Anyway, I'm back in the saddle again!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, thats a fine lookin jeep, but ive never even seen lifts like that before lol
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TGL2000
Welcome, thats a fine lookin jeep, but ive never even seen lifts like that before lol
Yeah, no doubt! It was night time when I bought this Jeep, and I didn't see those until I got it home. I about had a heart attack! I thought I got took. But then I noticed the 2" block-lift thingys (on top of the springs) and felt a little better. I would rather have 2" longer springs, but anyway, I knew those crazy "lift" things had to go!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Welcome,very nice jeep.Name:  banana.gif
Views: 69
Size:  1.8 KB
Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the site...great looking Cherokee
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

VERY nice looking XJ. I'm actually going to try and make my XJ look like that. It looks fantastic. Does your "lift" have new shocks on it? If so, what are they? Lastly, welcome to the site.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes.

OneSickXJ, I don't know for sure what the shocks are, but judging from the PO's work, I doubt they're anything special. They're probably the cheapest thing he could find.

And I want to make it absolutely clear that those crappy "lift" thingys are gone! Lol. It's just got the 2" spacers that sit on top of the springs now.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

if you still have the TJ i think its wise to keep the XJ as a nice rig and go crazy on the TJ, 60s 40s streaked the works but thats just me
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thaty cherokee looks sweet. Welcome to the site
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Irongrave, I suppose I could put a new differential in the TJ and a new manifold (or weld the old one), but that whole experience with the drunk driver accident left a terrible taste in my mouth (I'll spare the details, but I got screwed big time). Every time I look at that Jeep I get sick to my stomach. I'm glad I can use parts off it for my XJ though (just cannibalized the seat belt latches today ). I'm going to yank the engine, strip it down, and sell what I can't use.

So far I've used the:
seats,
seat belt latches,
steering wheel,
floor mats, and
oil cap.

I will very soon use the air intake temperature sensor (as the XJ's seems to be bad). And I'll slowly remove everything else with the idea of having a spare engine to either rebuild or cannibalize for parts.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. Nice looking XJ.