Newbie - XJ Wagoneer in England

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Newbie - XJ Wagoneer in England

Sometimes, the best stories start with "watch this" or "I may have been a little drunk"
This sort of falls into the later.
Bit of a back story first, we are no stranger to the Jeep range having had a couple of Grand Cherokees over the years for dog hauling and occasional tow duties. In addition we have a soft spot for and have been fortunate to have owned several American cars over the years, including a 79 Corvette we still own.
A few years ago we tried to buy an SJ Wagoneer but it did not happen and have since watched the prices spiral way from my wallet capability. It does not stop me having Wagoneer as an eBay Worldwide followed item, this is where the Jeep XJ comes in, as they have been appearing and I have a look and try to justify the (admittedly low) purchase price, plus the shipping to the UK invariably means £3-£5k landed.
Ok, so that's you up to date.
So, last week a rather sad looking XJ Wagoneer appears via my eBay email, crappy pictures and poor description... my favourite !! and it was in the UK on Italian plates... what could go wrong my Corona diluted brain wondered.
Now it must be said, I have a very understanding wife, but even this may be a plan too far. so when in doubt remember "forgiveness is easier to seek than permission" so I put in a cheeky Best Offer.

Next morning, my offer had not been accepted, but I showed the eBay page to Mrs N saying to her "I can't believe nobody has bought this" I recall the reply being " that's quite cool, buy it if the price is right" that's what I recall, though it may have actually been slightly less complimentary, either way it was a green light.
I got to work and received a counter offer for a little more than I was willing to chance, so I rang the seller to find a common ground, we got within £50 of where I wanted to be so I upped a little and the deal was done.

So, not for the first time have I bought an unseen pup on a wing and a prayer.
With a transport company organised the Wagoneer was dropped off at 22:00 last night...

A cursory look this morning and despite its sad and peeling lacquer the shell is sound with good floors and rockers. The interior is better than I expected, apart from the headlining droop.
Its running a bit rough with a blowing exhaust, but nothing a bit of time and attention will not sort out.

Sadly, it has the Bendix 9 system so I will be posting in the Tech section to clarify exactly what I need and from what year as despite the XJ being available in England, I cant see the LHD and RHD setups being interchangeable.