New in San Diego (Oceanside)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl
Red face New in San Diego (Oceanside)!

Sorry for the delay in introduction... I went straight to the "Help Me" threads, and now I feel completely rude. lol

Hello, my name is Megan! I'm 26, married with a stepson, and just transferred to Oceanside with my husband in October from Hawaii. Through him, I "inherited" his ex-wife's 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4.0L 6 Cyl with over 120k miles, and all of it's issues from 4+ years of non-upkeep.

It has recently started giving me attitude, and this is my daily driver, so I'm here to learn. Not only what to expect, but how to fix/maintain/troubleshoot with my own two hands... seeing as my husband is completely non-mechanically inclined, and I can't afford to go to a shop.

Any words of wisdom, advice, suggestions, or encouragement are absolutely appreciated and I thank you in advance. I'm looking forward to benefiting from this community.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Welcome.

Best advice, use the search button. You'll find plenty of information.

And if you can't find the answer, post a new thread asking your question with as much information about the problem as you can. We'll get you fixed up the right way between all of the members here.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Thank you!

Before I remembered to hit the introduction section, I started a desperate cry for help thread last night in the OEM Tech section. And the members that have already responded have been SO helpful... I may end up actually being relatively successful in my first Jeep repair: spark plugs in a 6 cyl. lol
I know it doesn't sound very daunting, but I've never worked on a Jeep... let alone done a repair other than changing the oil and oil filter in a small Toyota Echo or VW Cabrio (previous vehicles). And from what I know about how the Cherokee was maintained before I came to possess it (or rather how it wasn't), I think there are going to be a lot of posts from me asking for wisdom.

Thank you for the heads up and the welcome... it is very much appreciated. =)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Lady McCoy
Thank you!

Before I remembered to hit the introduction section, I started a desperate cry for help thread last night in the OEM Tech section. And the members that have already responded have been SO helpful... I may end up actually being relatively successful in my first Jeep repair: spark plugs in a 6 cyl. lol
I know it doesn't sound very daunting, but I've never worked on a Jeep... let alone done a repair other than changing the oil and oil filter in a small Toyota Echo or VW Cabrio (previous vehicles). And from what I know about how the Cherokee was maintained before I came to possess it (or rather how it wasn't), I think there are going to be a lot of posts from me asking for wisdom.

Thank you for the heads up and the welcome... it is very much appreciated. =)
Do yourself a favor and switch out the plug wires as well, depending on if you have them or not.

Its always best to work one at a time, too. Pull one wire, one plug, replace, then move to the next one.

It may seem silly, or even redundant, but I've seen quite a few threads that had issues with mis-routed plug wires. It does indeed matter where they are routed.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM

I think that's probably one major reason I'm so glad mine doesn't have wires. From what I've learned in a very short period of time, this particular model is Coil-on-Plug situated.
I was, however, under the impression that each plug had it's own coil pack... but from the diagrams I've been shown, it looks like there's a pack for every 2 plugs. I'll be able to make some sense of it (I hope) once I get under the hood tomorrow. And thank you, for the heads up.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from TEXAS...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Thank you for the welcome... The help has been invaluable already!