New from Nova Scotia, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New from Nova Scotia, Canada

H'llo, all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm new to this forum but not to Cherokees, having owned two 87's before my current '96.

About my '96: It's your basic two-door 4.0/5-speed/NP231 Cherokee with zero options save for the full size spare. Recently I discovered that the front spring perch had rotted completely off the front axle (the track bar was lying on the ground), so I decided while repairing to do some upgrades. I bought an '89 Wagoneer Limited as a parts buggy and I am going to be installing everything from the Wagoneer that I can. The wag's got 3.55 gears (an improvement over my 3.07's), so this in itself is an upgrade. I need to swap the steering box and shaft too. I'll also be installing the wag's chrome bumpers, grille and header panel to replace my deer-damaged pieces. While replacing the axles I will be doing a ~4" lift using S10 leaves in the back and V8 ZJ front coils with spacers up front.

Those are just to get it back on the road though. My bigger plans include swapping every option out of the Wag and into my Cherokee that can be swapped, including the A/C, power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, fog lights, etc (I was gonna use the power seats, but the Wag's are trashed and the mechanisms won't bolt to my Cherokee's seat frames). I realize this is a lot of work, but I'm more than up to the task (vehicle wiring is my specialty). I am even gonna use the Wag's GM steering column because it's got tilt and the leather wrapped wheel (my 96's airbag was gone after the aforementioned deer hit anyway). I have already gutted the Wag's interior and saved all the wiring harnesses, switches, relays, etc. I know I'll run into issues, such as using four-door window regulators in my two-door, but I think I should be able to make everything work.

I also plan on swapping the 242 in. I know the input gear is different (21 VS 23 spline, old cut VS new cut), but I've got a few 231's lying around that I should be able to get a proper gear from. If not, I'll buy an aftermarket one.

Anyway, that's project Cherokeer. Be prepared to see lots of stupid posts when things go right and hear lots of stupid questions when things go wrong...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

welcome to the site from san fran, ca
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Inline 6

Welcome From MI
Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

right on! welcome to CF from Iderho...
start a build thread for your jeep so we can follow along!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

welcome to the site.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by Just4Kixx
H'llo, all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm new to this forum but not to Cherokees, having owned two 87's before my current '96.

About my '96: It's your basic two-door 4.0/5-speed/NP231 Cherokee with zero options save for the full size spare. Recently I discovered that the front spring perch had rotted completely off the front axle (the track bar was lying on the ground), so I decided while repairing to do some upgrades. I bought an '89 Wagoneer Limited as a parts buggy and I am going to be installing everything from the Wagoneer that I can. The wag's got 3.55 gears (an improvement over my 3.07's), so this in itself is an upgrade. I need to swap the steering box and shaft too. I'll also be installing the wag's chrome bumpers, grille and header panel to replace my deer-damaged pieces. While replacing the axles I will be doing a ~4" lift using S10 leaves in the back and V8 ZJ front coils with spacers up front.

Those are just to get it back on the road though. My bigger plans include swapping every option out of the Wag and into my Cherokee that can be swapped, including the A/C, power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, fog lights, etc (I was gonna use the power seats, but the Wag's are trashed and the mechanisms won't bolt to my Cherokee's seat frames). I realize this is a lot of work, but I'm more than up to the task (vehicle wiring is my specialty). I am even gonna use the Wag's GM steering column because it's got tilt and the leather wrapped wheel (my 96's airbag was gone after the aforementioned deer hit anyway). I have already gutted the Wag's interior and saved all the wiring harnesses, switches, relays, etc. I know I'll run into issues, such as using four-door window regulators in my two-door, but I think I should be able to make everything work.

I also plan on swapping the 242 in. I know the input gear is different (21 VS 23 spline, old cut VS new cut), but I've got a few 231's lying around that I should be able to get a proper gear from. If not, I'll buy an aftermarket one.

Anyway, that's project Cherokeer. Be prepared to see lots of stupid posts when things go right and hear lots of stupid questions when things go wrong...
Where abouts in N.S?? Im from New Waterford- Cape Breton Island
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome.

I'v done some camping in NS on Cape Brteton Island.. all the way north at Meat Cove. Have always wanted to go back, and even further up to Newfy and Labrador.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeSport98
Where abouts in N.S?? Im from New Waterford- Cape Breton Island
I'm from Sackville, but am now living in Upper Kennetcook, in Hants County (about half way between Windsor and Truro)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tannerp89
right on! welcome to CF from Iderho...
start a build thread for your jeep so we can follow along!
Done:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...erokeer-50904/
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

welcome i guy i work with has property up in nova and it looks beautiful from the pics. it sounds like you'll be a helpful source of info for the forum as well