New Member; Mot Quite New To Jeeps---But Lots To Learn

New Member; Mot Quite New To Jeeps---But Lots To Learn

Old 11-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Year: 1998 & 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default New Member; Mot Quite New To Jeeps---But Lots To Learn

Hello, All.
As my username implies, I currently own two Jeep Cherokees, 1999Classic, and new to me this month, a 1998Sport. Upfront; i was raised a Chevy man, and i'll love the Bowtie 'til i die (my 1st ride in 1990 a 1972 k5 Blazer). But i've always had/liked 4x4s and SUVs (they work best for my lifestyle). But i knew I'd always gladly own a Jeep, too, if i found the "right" one @ the right time. Now, i'm talking the CJ?Wrangler types; never saw enough of the Cherokees (the ones in my price range, lol) to try.
In 2011 that changed; haven't looked back since.

The !st Jeep. Not an exciting or recent pic, but, hey, i'm a country boy currently stuck in the city. And yeah, that Cav is mine too---always have a backup plan, lol.
Now, this is my daily driver, bought with 130,000 on the clock for 4g (and that included getting the rockers repaired before i would buy it. And they need it again---dunno what i think about that, lol).

Upfront, i am NOT a mechanic, nor inclined. But i know what it costs to keep things running; i deal. But, i know more than (What"s that smell? Why is that idiot light on?)---so i can diagnose a little, but turning wrenches is not my thing. I say that to say, i've easily got double my purchase price in maintenance of this 99 (shoot---anything that bolts to the block has almost all been replaced, as needed)---and i'm ok with that. But i don't know all the tech stuff.
But i like wheeling----light stuff indeed, compared to all the stuff i see on the net----and camping, and i like not being cookie-cutter. Everybody knows Chevy and Ford---but Dodge/Jeep---that's always been it's own crowd, if you were an owner (though the New Mopar----well, i think it's finally right in there, and smoking hot. Cool to See).

And so, yeah, i've always wanted a lifted, slightly different/better than just stock rig.

And---FINALLY!---I have found what i think is a beautifully perfect foundation for what i coined BigRed Sledge(Hammer!) on the bank receipt for the $500 bank withdrawl needed on the day i brought it home:

1998 CherokeeSport with 161,000 on the clock, the Foundation with which i want to Build, as brought home, after a quick carwash on the way.

Sittin' pretty....plain. But Big Plans!

She went to the mechanic that same day, to get fluids changed, and yet another heater core replaced (White Knight; the 99, didn't have heat, either, when i bought it, lol).

And so....here i am. Now, this isn't gonna be a monster build, and though i know it's gonna cost, it's not gonna be the thing i hang my retirement plan on, either, if you get my meaning. It's gonna get fixed up, best i can, and then i'm gonna USE THE SNOT OUT OF IT. NOT abuse it, mind you----i've owned enough cars, and 4x4s---i can't afford to say "hold my drink and watch this!" with utter abandon. But, unlike the latest and greatest 4bys i see that cost more than my house and not a nick in the paint....i know what that lever on the floor next to the gearshift IS FOR (no lie---i have an uncle who bought 1 4x4, once...and never knew what the transfer case shiftlever was for!)...and it'll be used.

This will be a mild build to most of you; maybe even boring kidstuff----but i'm excited, and i'm looking forward to it.

I came here after 2months of browsing and getting something of a plan in my head; a direction i want to go----because i think all of you here will be a most helpful tool, as i pick out mods and get parts together this winter. I've already done tons of searching and reading, so if i post questions, ask advice, etc, and i intend to, it's because i hope to find clear concise answers----toomuch info muddles things up, sometimes, too.
I look forward to learning and sharing here, as i go.

Thanks for having me
Carry On.

Last edited by 9998Cherokees; 11-18-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Year: 2001

Welcome to the site 9998cherokees!

I'm also a Chevy nut! and always will be. I had a few jeeps in the past TJ's and just happened on the XJ I have saved it from the crusher and not looked back. been lots of fun and because they are smaller and lighter they get around and wheel great!
Old 11-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Year: 1998 & 1999

RockinRonnie, i looked at your build thread; i've always liked that color (and the other Red Jeep had---not the one on my '98, but oh well, lol)---you do great bodywork, and that is one nice looking Cherokee! I wish i could find a good "body-man" in my neck of the woods that did that kind of work. Then i wouldn't care if it costed an arm an a leg, lol. As it is, i'd be happy if i could find one reasonably priced work, in relation to the job they do. It's a skill i've tried to learn, once or twice....no lie; i'm no good at it. And that's putting it mildly, lol.