Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

I wish to learn about Jeeps. Help, please?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I wish to learn about Jeeps. Help, please?

So, I've always wanted to get into Jeeps. But I fknd ot very difficult to learn all of the ins and outs wothout help. Lot of people recommened me some channels and videos on youtube, but I find those hard to get as not many channels seem to post about "how this is done or works", instead I just see a lot of "I bought this and will install it." I want to know how the engine and parts under the hood works. Or what goes under the body of the Jeep. I wish to know about how certain custom parts are added and what thy do or what the lingo and vocabulary is for stuff. If you have kik, mine is BHifunny. Or help me here too. Thanks.

wranglers and cherokees
Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

First off WELCOME.

Do you know anything about any vehicles at all? Got some tools?

As far as Cherokees go spend some time picking through the threads out of the Cherokee forums that peak your interest and read them. Got ANY questions ask. When your ready to get dirty tell us.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to pick cherokee or wrangler because they are apples to oranges when it comes to some parts.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Quickest way to learn:

1. Buy an old Jeep that needs some work
2. Destroy your daily driver
3. Jeep becomes daily driver
4. If you wanna get to work, you have to fix it.
5. You become Jeep God

In all seriousness though, welcome. Jeeping as a hobby can be both financially taxing and a large time sink. The hobby has two spearheads if you will:

1. Wheeling Jeep
2. Fixing/maintaining/upgrading Jeep.

Both have plenty of expenditures. If you want to fix and maintain, then you will need the tools. If you want to wheel, you will probably need mods. You will also need to learn how to drive off-road safety and the proper operation of 4X4 vehicles.

i can say, without a doubt the most beneficial thing is to keep reading and educating yourself. Knowledge is POWER! If you have the budget and space, maybe think about picking up a cheap XJ and fix it up. The best way to learn is by doing.

Also remember that every member of this place, no matter how many posts or years they have been at it, started out where you are now. Joining this forum was a good first step. We will be here to help you along the way.

But like Morpheus says "I can show you the door, but it is YOU who must walk through it."
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
\
5. You become Jeep God
Yes, having gone through this process myself I'd say that's a pretty good guide. (I haven't gotten to #5 yet though, a long ways to go there.)

The XJ is pretty easy to work on. Most things are straightforward and there is lots of help to be had here if you ask nice.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by iWannaJeep
So, I've always wanted to get into Jeeps. But I fknd ot very difficult to learn all of the ins and outs wothout help. Lot of people recommened me some channels and videos on youtube, but I find those hard to get as not many channels seem to post about "how this is done or works", instead I just see a lot of "I bought this and will install it." I want to know how the engine and parts under the hood works. Or what goes under the body of the Jeep. I wish to know about how certain custom parts are added and what thy do or what the lingo and vocabulary is for stuff. If you have kik, mine is BHifunny. Or help me here too. Thanks.

wranglers and cherokees
You came here, that's a good first step. Start reading the OEM tech threads, and the jeep build threads, that will give you a good idea of what's involved in daily maintenance and troubleshooting. If you really want to learn about it, try buying a FSM, they have short, concise descriptions of what every part and system does, how to remove and replace them, what tools to use, torque values, troubleshooting guides, wiring and schematics...anything you could possibly want. Best $8 you'll ever spend.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

They also have manuals for grands and wranglers as well.

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
Quickest way to learn:

5. You become Jeep God

In all seriousness though, welcome. Jeeping as a hobby can be both financially taxing and a large time sink. The hobby has two spearheads if you will:

1. Wheeling Jeep
2. Fixing/maintaining/upgrading Jeep.

Both have plenty of expenditures. If you want to fix and maintain, then you will need the tools. If you want to wheel, you will probably need mods. You will also need to learn how to drive off-road safety and the proper operation of 4X4 vehicles.

i can say, without a doubt the most beneficial thing is to keep reading and educating yourself. Knowledge is POWER! If you have the budget and space, maybe think about picking up a cheap XJ and fix it up. The best way to learn is by doing.

Also remember that every member of this place, no matter how many posts or years they have been at it, started out where you are now. Joining this forum was a good first step. We will be here to help you along the way.

But like Morpheus says "I can show you the door, but it is YOU who must walk through it."
Well stated.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by roninofako
Well stated.
Thanks, I have taken the user my under wing and have been chatting with him on the messenger app KiK. He is college aged and has an interest about learning how cars work in general. He is not sure if at this point he wants a Wrangler or a Cherokee.

He did find a nice looking YJ on OfferUp. He has many questions to ask, which is good. I am trying my best to answer them.