New guy from Tallahassee, FL!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default New guy from Tallahassee, FL!

Hey everyone, my names alex and i have an addiction. I absolutely love xj's, so much in fact that im buying another one in august

A couple of years ago I had an 85 with that piece of junk 2.8 v6, and even though I spent more money repairing that then I actually spent on the jeep itself I still loved it to death. Death was in fact in 2010 when it finally pooped out on the side of I-10, im not sure exactly what happened to it but the motor had enough and was unfixable for a reasonable amount. So....I had enough of jeeps for a while and decided that 2 wheels were better than 4 for the second time in my life. I worked my butt off and purchased this little booger.

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0360.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Size:  149.2 KB

And for the record, the swingarm was swapped for a black one. The bike was chromed out when I bought it and I have since made it more tasteful.

Here is a picture of my old xj.

Name:  20132_1246675482842_1108050451_30790105_5386825_n.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB

Anyway, ive been just riding that for over a year now and I have the itch to get back into an xj once again, but this time i wont get one with a piece of junk motor; 4.0 or nothing. And conveniently my good buddies neighbor has one for sale that he took from a girl who couldnt pay rent, she had it for 2 months and it was owned previously by a little old lady . Its a mid 90's model, 4 wheel drive, a 4.0 and stock suspension that is just begging for a little love. It is in great shape and he is selling it for $1,000 (since it was compensation for rent, he isnt trying to make a bunch of money, just get his money that she owned him). So now, im looking at parts and all that jazz trying to decide exactly what I want to do. I plan on doing all of the things that I didnt get a chance to do with my last xj. Things Im thinking are:

- Rustys offroad 4.5'' lift (same my old one had)
- Either 32x11.50 or 33x12.50 KM2's, mud grapplers, baja MTZ or procomp mud terrains/x-terrains
- Or-Fab front/rear bumpers
- Neoprene interior
- Rhino lined rocker panels, fender flares and floor panels
- PIAA lights on the roof
- Possible safari rack with built in fishing rod holders

I think thats about all of my ideas thus far. im really excited to get this project underway, its something ive been thinking about for a while.

Anyway sorry for the long introduction, just wanted to share my excitement with others who can appreciate my addiction for these wonderful vehicles. Ill keep yall updated once this project begins!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by agramovot
Hey everyone, my names alex and i have an addiction. I absolutely love xj's, so much in fact that im buying another one in august

A couple of years ago I had an 85 with that piece of junk 2.8 v6, and even though I spent more money repairing that then I actually spent on the jeep itself I still loved it to death. Death was in fact in 2010 when it finally pooped out on the side of I-10, im not sure exactly what happened to it but the motor had enough and was unfixable for a reasonable amount. So....I had enough of jeeps for a while and decided that 2 wheels were better than 4 for the second time in my life. I worked my butt off and purchased this little booger.

And for the record, the swingarm was swapped for a black one. The bike was chromed out when I bought it and I have since made it more tasteful.

Here is a picture of my old xj.

Anyway, ive been just riding that for over a year now and I have the itch to get back into an xj once again, but this time i wont get one with a piece of junk motor; 4.0 or nothing. And conveniently my good buddies neighbor has one for sale that he took from a girl who couldnt pay rent, she had it for 2 months and it was owned previously by a little old lady . Its a mid 90's model, 4 wheel drive, a 4.0 and stock suspension that is just begging for a little love. It is in great shape and he is selling it for $1,000 (since it was compensation for rent, he isnt trying to make a bunch of money, just get his money that she owned him). So now, im looking at parts and all that jazz trying to decide exactly what I want to do. I plan on doing all of the things that I didnt get a chance to do with my last xj. Things Im thinking are:

- Rustys offroad 4.5'' lift (same my old one had)
- Either 32x11.50 or 33x12.50 KM2's, mud grapplers, baja MTZ or procomp mud terrains/x-terrains
- Or-Fab front/rear bumpers
- Neoprene interior
- Rhino lined rocker panels, fender flares and floor panels
- PIAA lights on the roof
- Possible safari rack with built in fishing rod holders

I think thats about all of my ideas thus far. im really excited to get this project underway, its something ive been thinking about for a while.

Anyway sorry for the long introduction, just wanted to share my excitement with others who can appreciate my addiction for these wonderful vehicles. Ill keep yall updated once this project begins!
Hey man, welcome to the site! That's a sick looking bike you got. And I agree that a black swingarm over the chrome one was a good choice. Also your old Jeep was very cool! In addition to what you have on your list I would recommend maybe regearing and a rear locker. It will give you a lot more off-road capability. Oh and consider an SYT kit to help compensate for any potential driveline vibes!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Nice bike, and that Jeep looked pretty good.

Name:  DansSig.gif
Views: 7
Size:  1.80 MB
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Hey man, i'm from TallyHo, give me a pm and call me have you joined capital City jeepers yet?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Welcome to our forum.

Nice bike. What year?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:35 PM

@mentalbreakdown00- i havent joined them yet, but i plan on it as soon as i actually get the new xj.

@Gee oh Gee- the bike is an 04
Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 AM

Year: 1986

welcome to the forum!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 AM
CF Veteran

@mentalbreakdown00- i havent joined them yet, but i plan on it as soon as i actually get the new xj.

@Gee oh Gee- the bike is an 04
Sweet. My ideal R1 is 04-05. What headlights are those?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

welcome from east tn
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Gee oh Gee- the headlights are the stock projectors with 6000k HID's rather than the halogen bulbs that came with it. I also replaced the auxiliary running lights in the headlight casing with LED's so that they would match, Ive been toying with the idea of installing halos around the projector and high beam, but havent because disassembling the headlights is a pain in the ****.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Gee oh Gee- the headlights are the stock projectors with 6000k HID's rather than the halogen bulbs that came with it. I also replaced the auxiliary running lights in the headlight casing with LED's so that they would match, Ive been toying with the idea of installing halos around the projector and high beam, but havent because disassembling the headlights is a pain in the ****.

Thanks for all the welcomes!
Very nice looking machince, good sir.