A new experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default A new experience

I've had Jeep Cherokees for a long time. They're cheap and good. I drive them until the wheels fall off and then get another one. The latest one is a 1990, which is my first one with the straight 6. About 217,000 miles, and am starting to get a little blow-by, so will be rebuilding real soon.

I'm a city boy. A buddy of mine took me out 4-wheeling in his Wrangler. It was great fun and a new experience. Wifey and I will be taking the Cherokee with us camping, and many in the group have Jeeps. So my first 4WD adventure is in a few weeks.

I had to first get the 4WD working (it never has since I bought it about 8 years ago). I read on the forums about the silly vacuum connector on the front axle. Sure enough, unplugged. So no more 8yo vacuum leak. I'll eventually do the conversion to a cable actuated system, but not before the trip.

Then the lift. Wifey was against spending any money more than necessary to keep the cherokee rolling. It is not something you are proud to drive into a popular city night spot. But with a little smoothing over, I got the ProComp 3" kit. One Monday evening plus a little work on Wednesday evening and she was back on her wheels, and looking a bit funny. Add a trip to the tire store and now she looks good. Wifey (who was originally reluctant to go anywhere beyond the campsite) will now probably want to venture out on the trail when we go camping.

An el-cheapo CB has been installed, so she's ready to head to the campsite convoy style.

When I figure out how to add a picture, I will.

Let's see if this works...

Last edited by jmjatlanta; 05-25-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Default ToDo:

I want to be able to quickly disconnect my swaybar links for off roading. That should be an easy project, especially since my buddy knows how to weld.

The engine is starting to have a bit of blow-by. So a rebuild is soon to come. I'll probably do just enough with the machine shop to get it running good. No extra stuff there. Engines are a hobby of mine so when I can devote some time to her being unusable I'll go through her.

The vent windows on the front doors leak, and if I park at the wrong angle I'll have a truckload of water on the floorboard. New seals are expensive (the dealer no longer has them), so I'm thinking of silicone. If I get real crazy I'll try my hand at pulling molds and making my own. I've seen it done for plastic parts, so I don't see how it couldn't be done for silicone ones. If I do that, I'll probably have more money in molds and chemicals than the cost of the seals, but I think it'd be a fun project.

She's having trouble sometimes getting into first (synchros?). At a light, you often have to put her in 2nd then up into 1st. And there is a bit of chain noise coming from the tranny/transfer case. I don't know much about trannys, so I may leave this work to someone else.

An exo-skeleton would be cool, but way down the list of priorities.

I'm sure there's more to do, but I'll re-prioritize as the need arises.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Looks pretty solid.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Camping was a little over a week ago. She performed almost flawlessly. The heater valve, which was leaking a drip or two upon activation prior to the trip, busted loose on the trail, at night of course. An unbelievable field dressing and she was back on the trail.

The bummer was me knowing I had purchased the piece months ago, and has been sitting on my bench ready for install. Now I'll definitely have to install it. I still haven't, but will soon.

Wifey went on every trail with me, even the night runs. She had plenty of fun. We had to be winched out once, but handled the trails good for greenhorns. She, who was complaining at one time about the cost of tires and suspension, spent much of the ride home looking through the auction and classified sites at bumpers, winches, and 4x4 camping pop-up trailers.

She's very close to being an addict. I'll probably have to consider letting her drive it soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

That's awesome that she likes it so much . You shouldn't have any trouble with upgrades , with her on your side lol. It is very much a great hobby ,and will catch yourself thinking about it every moment of your life now. Oh and welcome to the forum family . I didn't welcome you earlier so doing so now
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Location: Richlands, NC/Charlotte, NC yeah I live in 2 places YUNVME?
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

nice setup man
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Welcome to the forums!