My Cherokee Is Coming Back To Me - snowboard\surf mobile

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Cherokee Is Coming Back To Me - snowboard\surf mobile

About five years ago I gave away my Jeep XJ to a family member after not being able to sell it. It's a 2000 and was in pretty decent shape. I don't believe it has been cared for as well as I would have cared for it, but regardless I'm very excited to start working on it. It will be here Wednesday. I'll post pics when it gets here.

I need to compile a list of things to do first, like basic maintenance. If anyone has a list that they go by, please drop it in a comment. I plan on looking up all the fluids and knocking those of the list. I'm sure I can find them on here. I'd also like to do the steering box bracket asap and then do an injector upgrade. The Jeep will be a sort of daily driver to start out and eventually become a surf/snowboard machine, possibly with some built in sleeping or camper type features.

Anyway. Glad to be here.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum. Maintenance is a good start
Old 08-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Welcome to the forum. Maintenance is a good start
Thanks. Just had a minute to quickly scroll through your builds. I'll have to go more in depth later. Looking forward to seeing if my Jeep is still in decent shape or not. I know there were rust issues he didn't address and he pulled the 4x4 linkage off for some reason.

But in any event, I'm going to hit all the basic maintenance and then fix the linkage. After that, we shall see. Hoping I can find some local guys to help me with some cheap parts, like slightly bigger tires and rims. I don't want to go crazy. I just need to ride on the beach and bumpy dirt roads. AND destroy snow of course.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM

I just tried adjusting my TV cable and the button was giving me a problem. I PB Blasted it a bit and got the button to depress then it was stuck, so I took everything apart and moved the rusty metal piece up and down. It won't lock now. It just slides all the way out. Looks like I'm ordering a new cable and replacing it. Or I'll use a zip tie or something for a bit. LOL

I ordered a new linkage kit for my 4x4 as well. Looking forward to installing it. This will be going slow for a while until I can get some money coming in
Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

Welcome and all the best to you with your Jeep.
This gentleman has a pretty thorough approach to resurrecting a classic...
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...H7fGErMWgWP_dw

I understand these help with the snow...
http://www.americantracktruck.com/

Last edited by '00 XJ; 02-09-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:41 PM

So, I haven't gotten much done in a year but have done quite a bit in the last few weeks. New Putco headlight harness and rampage lights. Had to do some rewiring due to a lighting problem which I found while upgrading. Pulled my doors off and started grinding out rust and I'm prepping to do some welding. Did tune-up a couple oil changes. Fixed the 4x4...

One thing I'm stuck on right now is my sunroof which will open but not close. I think the problem is the standard old black box. Clicks but doesn't close unless I whack it. I assume it has soldered in relays inside. Going to go check the junk yard this week for a few things. This black box is $295 online. I've only found one dealer.

G-68X5-4767-AXXX
If you have one laying around that works, PM me please.