Le forest ranger project

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The rig so far...

Mornin forum fam! I'm fairly new to the jeep game (4 months or so) and I was lucky enough to stumble upon a suuuper clean retired forest ranger XJ in Bakersfield of all places. Straight 6, 4L, it's a 2000 and in my research prior to deciding on an XJ, I heard those years had head gasket problems right around 120k which is almost exactly where mines at BUT I got it with a new head gasket so that should save some headaches.
I was born and raised in San Diego, California but moved up to San Luis Obispo to go to college at Cal Poly so I've been building the rig here. My boyfriend works as a welder at a muffler shop so he's been helping me with the hard stuff like the lift kit, welding bumpers, etc...

First thing I did was install a new aftermarket head unit, new speakers in the doors, new overhead speakers in the trunk, and wire up a 12" sub. No one in this tiny town knew anything about wiring or audio, but 10 youtube videos later, I managed to do it myself (proud moment of mine when I re-connected the battery and nothing was fried)

Next I wrapped the center dash in a Hawaiian print, although it has some creases at the top so I might re-do that here shortly.

Then I ordered some 15" smoothie wheels, bronze spray paint, and 31" Mud Terrain BFGs and got to work on that.

A couple weeks ago, I finally got the whole 3" Zone lift kit on. Since my boyfriend works at the shop, he has to squeeze in any **** I want to do in the couple hours he has between the last client and the locking up of the shop, so about a month ago we could only install the rear lift. I was stink buggin it for most of May....

Got the wheels and tires mounted and put them on the car- SO MUCH BETTER. But now it's haunting me that i totally could've fit 33s and still cleared with maybe a little trimming I was planning on doing anyway. I might sell the 31s, but we'll see.

Then I installed laminate wood floor in the trunk which ended up looking great! I couldn't be happier

Also just ordered a rooftop tent from Gordigear for a beer roadtrip I'm taking from San Diego to Oregon this summer, so i'll let you know my lucky with that accessory later July!

Now I just ripped off the two chunky sides of my front bumper so I just have the black panel going across, and me and Troy have been coming up with some ideas for bending some bars and welding a new front bumper where I can attach a light bar I bought from my buddy down in SD.

As for maintenance, I've discovered a coolant leak, pinched transmission cooling lines, a blown cooling fan relay, and a minor oil leak. All parts are ordered though and I should be good to go by the roadtrip ))
I also did the seafoam engine cleaner a couple weeks ago and did notice a difference... So i definitely reccomend that, it's like 10 bucks for a can and only takes about 15 minutes. Anyone can do it and you feel a power difference for sure.

Alright guys thanks for reading, I'll keep you updated on my adventure!
Quick question: anyone trying to sell a spare tire mount that mounts to the rear bumper? Or a roof rack basket? That's been the current search. Lemme know!

Last edited by serenabatali; 06-16-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Love the beach pic, looks like your real happy with your new Jeep!

I've been on the search for an XJ myself and have come across two that may work for me. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pic's as well

For bumpers, try looking at this.... it's a complete combo front bumper/rock sliders/rear bumper w-tire carrier. Looks like a quick & painless way to protect your new ride.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12051_0800_RS_07.htm

A little pricey, but has solid welds with all the features you'd probably want.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Holy cow dudette! You have made one heck of a tropical jeep, but have you considered a toolkit for the back so you can make some repairs on the road?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM

Nice project work so far gal. I also have a Dept. of Interior Jeep, '87. You can source the correct paint color, which is Federal #14260, from AutomotiveTouchUp.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Welcome to Cherokee Forum, Serena
Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L

Ok totally diggin' that laminate in the trunk! Was it a pretty easy instal? Welcome to the forums btw. I have a roof rack I am selling but its a bit on the small side. But it will fit a spare no problem, PM me if youre interested.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

interesting laminate back.. i wonder how it would hold up in the long run, but welcome to the club
Old 07-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Batman33165
interesting laminate back.. i wonder how it would hold up in the long run, but welcome to the club
May need a rubber mat, like the ones you put under rugs to keep from sliding, so things don't shift on every turn. Should help in case something heavy back there scratches it while sliding around.