Hello from Roadrunnr72!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hello from Roadrunnr72!!!!

I would like to start my introduction with a BIG thanks to crusier54.

Now my story: My son had a 2000 XJ 4.0. Called me because he had a "noise" in the engine. I took a look at it and it sounded like it was coming from the valves. Pulled the valve cover, and everything was tight. Couldn't find anything wrong. Had a chance a few days later to look at it, and after some research, found that these motors are known for breaking pistons skirts. This time, the noise sounded deeper, not so much in the valves. He pulled up a video on YouTube that sounded just like his, broken piston skirt. We worked out a deal, and now I own a 2000 XJ with a broken piston skirt.

I pulled the pan, and sure enough, found pieces of skirt in it. Pulled the head with manifolds still intact, and popped out the pistons. I can't believe that the cylinder wasn't hurt, not a scratch in it, and no ridge around the top, just a little carbon, that wiped off, for the most part. I ordered an engine kit, and am now in the middle of a rebuild. Tomorrow I am swapping the rods to the new pistons, and doing a valve job on it.

While waiting for the kit, I have been doing alot of reading about the Xjs, and all of it here. I have read several threads on the 0331 head. I ran out to check mine, and sure enough, it's the 0331. And wouldn't you know it, my son had run it hot, twice, that I know of. They replaced the radiator, and removed the t-stat. And the fan shroud is missing. I have checked the head several times, with a flash light, and there is NO crack in my head. After reading the stories, I am really surprised. I have ordered and now received a new fan shroud from Rockauto.

This XJ has, I think, a 3" lift and 31x10.50 tires. I have wanted an XJ for some time, and have liked to looks of this one, since my son got it. I need to finish the engine, and get some fender flares for it, then redo the headliner. I need the check the tranny fluid, and will problably drain and replace it, either way.

As an extra note, my son changed the oil about 2 weeks before the piston broke, and used a fram filter. I don't know if it caused the break, but it sure won't have a Fram when I'm done.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to many night reading......RR
Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Welcome.

What's your plan of action?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome!

When refilling the transmission, make sure to use DEXRON MERCON III fluid.

Good choice on getting the xj.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Napa gold filter and rotella t6 oil is pretty good too
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Welcome.

What's your plan of action?
Since there was no ridge at the top of the cylinders, and no other visible damage, I am not going to pull the engine and have it machined. New pistons rings and bearings, rework the valves, new t-stat and alot of praying! I did manage a screw up one of my pistons today. Must have not had everything lined up. The wrist pin is in, but the piston is very stiff, and I can barely move the rod. Not really sure at this point if I can fix it, or if I would be better off finding a new piston. The other 5 are together and ready for the rings......RR
Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Welcome to CherokeeForum man!