Hello All!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Hello All!

Just joined this forum since I bought my daugher who just turned 16 a 1999 Cherokee Sport 2WD 4.0L. We looked at every SUV under the sun and the this Cherokee was the best thing we found at our price point. After looking at several of these, I really decided the Cherokee was the ticket since it seems VERY easy to work on. Open the hood and everything is easy to see and get to....no BS....it was love at first sight as a guy who likes to do his own work. LOLOL

Anyhow, I've only owned this vehicle for 2 days now and already love it. Tonight was the first chance I had to start work on it. It was very clean when we bought it yesterday, but not up to my specs.....so tonight I started bustin butt on it. Since it has 143k on the odo, I'm planning to do several things + a couple questions:

- New air filter
- Change oil (full synthetic)
- Flush cooling system and replace theromostat
- Change transmission and rear diff fluid (is synthetic OK, does it require a lube pack additive?)
- Replace both headlights (old and dim) with SilverStars
- New wiper blades
- Grease door hinges and other latches
- 4 wheel alignment (is the rear adjustable?)

If you guys can recommend anything else, please feel free to post. As a car guy, I know every vehicle has it's little nuances....and...like I said, I'm new to the Cherokee.

A couple more questions:

- I noticed tonight the headlights don't actually turn off with the switch, them dim off after a few seconds. Do I have to live with that function? I don't really like it.
- The fog lights don't see to be working or responding to the fog switch. Is there a problem or am I missing something?
- There's an engine compartment light under the hood, how do you turn it on?

Here's a few pics of our new baby!
Attached Thumbnails Hello All!-cherokee3.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee7.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee_front.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee4.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee5.jpg  

Last edited by BadThad; 08-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Here's a few more pics:
Attached Thumbnails Hello All!-cherokee2.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee8.jpg   Hello All!-cherokee_dash.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Thanks Tony, good to know a parts vendor is here.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Very clean!! 99' too, probably the best year you could have bought her. Who's Wrongler snuck into the shot?

As far as the dimmer, thats about par for the course.

The rear has no alignment adjustments being a solid axle. Just keep up on tire rotations.

As for the fog lights, I'd check for a fuse first. Also, any time the high-beams are on, it'll shut the fogs off automatically.

The underhood light should automatically come on anytime you pop the hood. I'd be willing to bet the bulb is just burnt out. (lot of heat under there)

Welcome to CherokeeForum!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
Very clean!! 99' too, probably the best year you could have bought her. Who's Wrongler snuck into the shot?

As far as the dimmer, thats about par for the course.

The rear has no alignment adjustments being a solid axle. Just keep up on tire rotations.

As for the fog lights, I'd check for a fuse first. Also, any time the high-beams are on, it'll shut the fogs off automatically.

The underhood light should automatically come on anytime you pop the hood. I'd be willing to bet the bulb is just burnt out. (lot of heat under there)

Welcome to CherokeeForum!
Thanks for the welcome!

I just had eye surgery done yesterday so I'm a bit behind working on the Cherokee. I had my girls go buy some bulbs yesterday, hopefully they will correct some of issues.

The 02 Wragler is just another family toy we have.
Attached Thumbnails Hello All!-02wrngler.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Well, I was going to knock on ya for having a TJ in the presence of the all mighty Cherokee, but it looks like it's got Wranger Duratrecs, so obviously your a smart & classy individual.

Lol, but on a serious note, both trucks look incredibly clean.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks BK!

Got a bit more time in on Cherokee today. Replaced one of the fog lamp bulbs and still no worky....gotta check the fuses next.

I have another pesky problem with the HVAC fan. It only works on high, 1,2,3 do nothing. I'm guessing it's the switch....anyone with experience here? How tough is that switch to replace? I really, really hate removing interior trim pieces and especially dash stuff...I have a way of breaking and scratching them. LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

welcome to the site!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Looks great.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM

OK, I replaced one of the fog light bulbs and still now worky. I checked the manual and there's no fuse listed for the fog lights. I would also assume they would not be on a separate fuse, so if that was the problem, I'd probably have something else out along with the fogs. You guys think it must be a bad switch too?

Thanks for the welcome Customizer and ol'blue!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Welcome to our forum!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Welcome to our forum!
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

As for the A/C, it's not the switch. The blower motor resistor is causing it to not function on the lower settings. Any good auto parts store probably has it in stock, usually not more then $10. Under the passenger foot-well, 2-3 screws hold it in if I recall.

Also, there may not be a fuse for the fogs, but check for a fuse called "Flash to Pass". Don't know if they were still calling it that in 99 though.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle
As for the A/C, it's not the switch. The blower motor resistor is causing it to not function on the lower settings. Any good auto parts store probably has it in stock, usually not more then $10. Under the passenger foot-well, 2-3 screws hold it in if I recall.

Also, there may not be a fuse for the fogs, but check for a fuse called "Flash to Pass". Don't know if they were still calling it that in 99 though.
Dude....YOU ROCK! This is exactly the reason I joined here! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and follow though.

Search this Thread