Bought a '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Bought a '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic (Henderson, NV)

Just bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic today! The Wife and I have been looking somewhat half-assed but decided to stop at the Jeep dealership while we were out. Of course today they had basically EXACTLY what we were looking for! It has a/c, power windows (all working), power locks (only the passenger rear and the hatch actually lock but everything makes noise so maybe seized), 4wd oh and 158k on the odometer. We've wanted one for awhile, she had one in high school and we both love the style (shoe box FTW!). It's a 3rd vehicle but mostly for camping/Lowe's trips since neither the WRX or her GTI can hold much unless you don't have a passenger.

Amazing condition as you can see from the pictures. Just a touch of rust/paint peeling on the roof channels and peeling on a couple spots inside the engine bay. Apparently has a exhaust manifold leak and I definitely saw ATF dripping but for a 16yr old vehicle I'd expect such things. Only other thing was it didn't want to turnover on first try. I looked at the battery and it's squeaky clean but I'll get it tested. Also thinking the fueling sending unit might be done or the filter outside the tank. Also might have the alternator QC'd. Beyond those tiny tiny problems she's in wonderful shape!! The interior is amazeballs and the dealer hadn't even cleaned it. The previous owner must have garaged it and apparently has kept it in great condition for the most part. Drives great, well as great as these thing ever did.

It's getting an oil change and "once over" by the knuckle heads there. I'll be draining/filling the radiator and getting the transmission checked out along with a drain/refilling. Probably get the a/c QC'd as well.

Currently DD a '12 Subaru WRX hatch (modded). Used to own a '05 Nissan Xterra (fully modded). We missed the off-road scene so we got back into it.

Last edited by Matsayz; 09-01-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 PM

Here's the Xterra we used to rock, miss her. 33's, Shrockworks front bumper & full skids, steel rear bumper, sliders, winch, CAI, Bullydog tuner, lights and whatnot. She didn't like the heat in Tucson and then we moved to Vegas and ugh just started to run hot even with new radiator and extra fans. Plus we never went offroad.

And the current DD, 2012 Subaru WRX hatch. "Stage 2", downpipe and dyno-tuned so it currently makes 300hp/323tq to the wheels. Loves on ramps!

Last edited by Matsayz; 08-31-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM

Currently reading the whole site and any other sites, NAXJA, Cherokee Talk, Jeep Forum. Not sure what site has the most traffic or whatnot so I'm lurking on all sites. Looking to fix the locks and I think this http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/lock_actuator/ will fix it unless someone has other ideas. Waiting for the laundry list from the dealer for what needs fixing and then take it to the Firestone up the street for all fluids drain/fill since I don't know the history.

Also, does anyone have a manual for this year? Just starting to look but figure I'd ask. I don't know if I have the Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25 axle. I'd like to do the drum to disc conversion which Summit has for a price... still researching that. Hoping to do most of the work ourselves since it's a 3rd vehicle and doesn't have to be put back together by midnight. I've never done engine stuff but I feel confident enough in replacing the exhaust manifold after seeing the how-to's. Would it make sense to replace the intake manifold while it's off? Anyone have a How-To for that? I need to get a look at the radiator and the alternator as well. I'd rather replace the trouble makers while everything is available.

Looking forward to meeting some folks soon too! Who is in the Vegas/Henderson area??? Both the Wife and I are active Air Force out at Nellis AFB so if see us say hi.

Matt

Last edited by Matsayz; 09-01-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Google jeep cherokee rear end under the images category and you will find your answers. There are ten pages of writeups here one is on locks
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by crabmushrooms5
Google jeep cherokee rear end under the images category and you will find your answers. There are ten pages of writeups here one is on locks
Awesome, thank you! And here's the link for anyone else who reads this, https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/axle-info-148057/

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Year: 1996

Flat four member huh? Welcome to the XJ scene from another guy in Vegas.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.

Tony
Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Bought a '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Okay, did a few maintenance items and then just an look over on the vehicle. Swapped the radiator cap since it was lookin rough. Coolant looked alright but the radiator is definitely the original but looks decent fin-wise, also there is corrosion at the hose connections. See the picture by where the hose goes into the engine, looks like one came looks with the white spray (correct?). Battery was toast so put a new one and then it fired up first time! SWEET!!! Added some bug juice and all new wipers.

And everyone loves pictures.

Transfer case looks clean! Also noticed that the FUEL LINE stickers are still on the fuel lines... I don't this thing has seen much of anything except concrete. Seriously clean vehicle.

Not sure what the red switch is for. I pulled a few wires out from the kick panel and they look like RCA cables. Anyone seen anything like this before? I'm not sure they go to the switch as it's still 96 degrees or more in the garage. Ideas?

The Spectre air filter, is that an oiled filter??

Wife snapped a photo...

Engine bay, not bad

Is the 8457 the year/week the cover was made (what is the technical term?)

Master brake cylinder looks like a fairly recent replacement.

Last edited by Matsayz; 09-06-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Welcome and nice wrx