Air Con Compressor staying on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Air Con Compressor staying on.

Hi guys.
I have just purchased my first Jeep a 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee & stepped into the world of ( I BOUGHT A JEEP) I had the Aircon regassed and it worked fine for a week but it now has the common problem I've been reading about with the fan only blowing out minimal air. So I have some really good info from here as to what to look at tomorrow and follow the recommendations. My other problem is the Aircon Compressor doesn't switch off & runs constantly no matter what position the dash switch is in. Dash switch does light up in on position & goes out in off position. Previous owner has disconnected heater core hoses & blocked them off due to an apparent leaking in the cab. I live in Nth QLD Aus. Don't need a heater up here not even in the winter. So question is does someone have an idea or suggestion as to why the Compressor constantly runs. Hope to get some good feedback from all the jeepas out there.
I have other issues with the Jeep but I will tackle one at a time for now.
P.S. I am an old school Motor Mechanic who doesn't work in the trade but I have been working on cars all my life. I just don't know a lot about Jeeps. So straight up answer are cool I'll know what you mean.
I did own a 1998 Range Rover tho. ( Similar elect probs I believe)

Thanks guys.
Grunts58
Down under.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Had to google that one. You mean the air conditioning compressor I think. As opposed to a air compressor. Just a separation between us by a common language It is not uncommon for an AC compressor to run constantly. It could indicate though you are slightly undercharged. Check the return line to it. With the hood up it should after awhile get a pretty good bit of condensation on it. We call it a "good sweat" here. If not, it could use some refrigerant
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Hi 4.3L XJ
Thanks for the reply. I did mean compressor yes.
I had the system re gassed & pressures were fine. But we noticed that the Compressor would not turn off when the dash switch was activated. (IE clutch would not disengage) I was wondering if the switch might be faulty or is there other common problems somewhere else in the system.

Thanks.
Grunta58
Downunda
Old 11-12-2018, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

OK, gotcha. You could have a faulty switch or wires touching or maybe a stuck clutch. Shut it down, pull the battery cables and try to turn the center hub of the compressor. If you cannot, you probably have a stuck clutch. If not, connect the cables turn on ignition but not start. Have someone turn on switch. If the hub sucks in, but won't return when the switch is turned off, then turn ignition off. If it disengages then, I think you can narrow it down to a faulty switch
Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
OK, gotcha. You could have a faulty switch or wires touching or maybe a stuck clutch. Shut it down, pull the battery cables and try to turn the center hub of the compressor. If you cannot, you probably have a stuck clutch. If not, connect the cables turn on ignition but not start. Have someone turn on switch. If the hub sucks in, but won't return when the switch is turned off, then turn ignition off. If it disengages then, I think you can narrow it down to a faulty switch
Old 11-12-2018, 04:24 PM

Thanks 4.3L XJ.
I'll sus that out a bit later.
Thanks for your advise & help.

Grunta58