99 cherokee overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 99 cherokee overheating

Got a 99 cherokee sport which was leaking from the water pump area. Gauges running just a little hotter than normal but water pouring out of water pump. Pump was replaced yesterday, engine flushed. Driving about 20 miles today on interstate when gauge whe from about 215 to 245 degrees and check gauges light came on. Pulled over and only place leaking was coolant coming out of overflow reservoir reservoir was full. Pulled radiator cap and it still had coolant. This overheat started when I was running my a/c. When I turned off a/c drove a little longer cause temp dropped back down to normal temp of 210. Should this mechanic replaced my thermostat? Temp stayed just above 210 without running a/c don稚 know what else it could be caused by except thermostat. He stated he flushed out o lot a stop leak out or radiator and engine. Could he have dislodged some of the stop leak sludge and it痴 blocking the thermostat
Old 07-29-2018, 03:00 AM

The A/C on or off should make no difference in your engine temp. A thermostat is really easy to replace, but likely not the problem. Based on the info you have given.... Either a air pocket in the system or the radiator/cooling system is still plugged. Open the plug on the right side of your radiator and see what comes out....
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Usndoc8404
Got a 99 cherokee sport which was leaking from the water pump area. Gauges running just a little hotter than normal but water pouring out of water pump. Pump was replaced yesterday, engine flushed. Driving about 20 miles today on interstate when gauge whe from about 215 to 245 degrees and check gauges light came on. Pulled over and only place leaking was coolant coming out of overflow reservoir reservoir was full. Pulled radiator cap and it still had coolant. This overheat started when I was running my a/c. When I turned off a/c drove a little longer cause temp dropped back down to normal temp of 210. Should this mechanic replaced my thermostat? Temp stayed just above 210 without running a/c don稚 know what else it could be caused by except thermostat. He stated he flushed out o lot a stop leak out or radiator and engine. Could he have dislodged some of the stop leak sludge and it痴 blocking the thermostat
Suspect an air pocket after refilling system.
Park sloped downward, and loosen / remove the temp sender on the drivers side - rear of the head. See if you have air bubbles in there.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the fans. Mainly the electric one. At operating temp turn a\c on and it should cause the fan to run. Maybe the radiator cap is weak.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Default 99 cherokee overheating follow up

thanks for feedback. This idea of an air pocket in the coolant system is new to me, but I知 a true rookie. I致e read about burping the coolant system but have no idea how to do it. Jeep has stopped overheating since I replaced thermostat. Still having vacuum leak despite paying to have problem fixed. I had to put several hose clamps on some vacuum line to keep them from popping loose. When those vacuum hose pops off a/c always comes out defrost. Besides messing up the a/c flow I知 sure the vacuum lines ( still not sure they are 100% fixed ) must be contributing to poor engine power rough idle backfiring. Last comment on the vacuum line causing a/c to come out defrost only. If I get the rpms revved up the a/c will come through proper vents. When driving it takes several minutes for the a/c to flow from defrost to vents. I知 a rookie but this Jeep seems like pressure has to build up to halfway run. I知 wanting to do some other basic stuff like tune up but I知 afraid I知 wasting time and money till I知 sure the whole vacuum system is working. This used to be a strong running Jeep. I think at 138,000 miles it has life left in it