Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Need Help!!! 2004 Cherokee overheating while towing a trailer

Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Need Help!!! 2004 Cherokee overheating while towing a trailer

I need some help, and I'm hoping someone on this forum can give me just that.

I have a 14ft Haulmark trailer that I tow with my 04' cherokee. I have the 2wd 4.0 6 cylinder. When I take the trailer it's usually freeway driving at speeds of 60-70mph with overdrive off. The jeep runs fine and the temp stays at normal operating temp. However once I exit the freeway things start to heat up.

It actually overheated on me the other day. This is the first time it's ever happened so I let the jeep cool off and went home. I thought it might be a fluke or something, but today I towed the trailer on the highway again, temp was perfect, exited the freeway and the temps began to raise again.

This time I was able to keep it from overheating by rolling my windows down and blasting the heater, not fun since I'm in Orlando, FL and it's already hot enough outside!!!

I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas why this would be happening? Maybe the trailer is just too big and heavy? I read the manual and it says I can tow up to 5000lbs, however I'm realistically only towing around 2000lbs.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by cstires
not fun since I'm in Orlando, FL and it's already hot enough outside!!!

lol we went to Disney World about 4 weeks ago...I am from Indiana and I cant take that sun combined with high humidity. I had to take many pool breaks

And about the issue... Im not sure, but your Jeep seems like it doesnt like shifting repeatidly. When you exit the freeway, you slow down making the transmission shift constantly epecially with the trailer and the od off. Just a thought...

Does it overheat before you get on the freeway?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM

It doesn't seem to overheat right away, but I usually drive the trailer on the freeway, which is just a few miles from my house.

I was thinking of installing a transmission cooler, I added the hitch after I purchased the jeep, so I didn't get the tow package.

Do you think that would help with the problem?

Yeah the heat and humidity is really tough to deal with. It just seems to keep getting hotter.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 PM

If a tranny cooler is recommended, what is a good aftermarket brand?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Team Cherokee has this one... I would imagine that it is good, but who knows...

http://www.teamgrandcherokee.com/Tra...ion/index.html
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Year: 2004 Inferno Red
Engine: 4.7 HO

I have a '04 GC Columbia Ed. with the 4.7 HO and 54K miles on it - pull a trailer that weighs about 5,000# and have had no trouble on or off freeways. I do, however, keep my speeds to about 55mph. Just had the tranny serviced and had no problems. Now, I'm in the moutains of Western MD - with some pretty decent grades. If you're having problems with overheating in Orlando, I would spend the $60 or so and buy a cooler. Bet you won't overheat after that is installed. But, just on the odd chance, have your tranny serviced, too. Regular service when towing is a must. I do it every 20K-25K.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

It's the tranny overheating, the fluid goes through the heat exchanger in the rad and overheats the cooling system, u need a tow pack for the big trailers.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Just wanted to give an update.

The problem wasn't with pulling the trailer, it just seemed to exagerate the issue. It began overheating without pulling the trailer, so I opened the hood to investigate and found that the electric fan had stopped working. I unplugged the fan and attached a 12v power source to it and nothing.

Saturday I replaced the fan and I'm back up and running again. Bad thing is since I do have the towing package (didn't know that until this weekend, I noticed the tranny cooler), I couldn't get the fan from autozone, advance autoparts, napa, etc... I had to go to the dealer who charged me $375.00 + tax!!!

Oh well, a few hours of work, but atleast it's fixed and back on the road again.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 AM

That's great news - to an extent. I think I would have looked at a salvage yard for a fan before I went to the dealer. At least it was an easy fix.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter I-6
Default Overheat

That's a pretty good sized trailer for that poor little 4.0L..
why would you turn the OD off? that would make the engine work harder...and heat faster. You might check to see if your rig has a built in oil cooler. Also check your coolant level and thermostat.

Don't screw around with overheats!!! I have the 4.0L and didn't pay attention/get service and now I have to pay $3000 for a reman engine and install!

Word I get from the shops is Jeep engines don't handle overheats well at all..

Good luck...
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rayharris46
That's a pretty good sized trailer for that poor little 4.0L..
why would you turn the OD off? that would make the engine work harder...and heat faster. You might check to see if your rig has a built in oil cooler. Also check your coolant level and thermostat.

Don't screw around with overheats!!! I have the 4.0L and didn't pay attention/get service and now I have to pay $3000 for a reman engine and install!

Word I get from the shops is Jeep engines don't handle overheats well at all..

Good luck...
You turn the OD off so the vehicle isn't constantly "hunting" between OD and 4th gear for the optimum rpms. If mine changes more than a couple times in a 5 minute period, I take the OD off - always when climbing in mtns. Also, switch OD back on when on flats or if going down hill. Let me qualify this - I do this when towing my travel trailer. Not when towing my m/c trailer. The m/c trailer is light enough I don't have to switch off the OD. Been doing it for years and, along with having the tranny serviced at regular intervals, I have a tranny that provides mile after mile of great service. Haven't had an overheat yet. (knock on wood!)